IRQVET’s Beef Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRQVET’s Beef Jerky

So my love affair with beef jerky began while I was active duty military deployed overseas, where we had two meal options; MRE’s or beef jerky. So I decided to practically live off the latter. About a decade later, I bought a commercial beef jerky machine and began experimenting with receipes.

Here is my tried and true Black Pepper Receipe which is money
    every time:

- 3 to 4 pounds of top round and/or bottom round
    - 1 cup soy sauce
    - 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce

- 8 ounces of pineapple juice
    - 2 tea spoons of liquid smoke
    - 2 Table spoons of curing salt (optional) (With the salt content in soy, its safe to forego curing salts)
    - 2 ounces of honey and/or molasses
    - Marinate for 8-12 hours
    - Dust with fresh ground black pepper
    - Dehydrate for 4-8 hours (To desired toughness)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jerky Jar.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	558613

​Here is my Coconut Red Pepper Receipe, which is also in high demand in my household:

- 3 to 4 pounds of top round and/or bottom round
    - 1 cup soy sauce
    - 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce
    ounces of Coconut water
    - 1 tea spoons of liquid smoke
    - 4 ounces of honey
    2.) Marinate for 8-12 hours
    3.) Dust with red pepper
    4.) Dehydrate for 4-8 hours (To desired toughness)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coconut Jerky.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	558612
    Last edited by IRQVET; 09-08-2022, 06:38 PM.

Curious what the coconut water imparts to the mix?

Also any estimate to what this costs you vs the commercial (well good commercial) stuff? Years ago with some Navy buddies we were making out own jerky with a higher end home machine. It was awesome, nice and tender, but damn we were going broke buying beef! And it was 'cheap' 20 years ago!

Comment

I eiher go to resturant supply chains or Sams Club and go stright to the butcher and ask for bottom round or top round. Usually I can get beef at around $3.xx per pound that way. Last one I got was 40 lbs of bottom round for about $90 which was a really cheap price. Granted this is pre-hydraded weights, so 40 pounds yields less than 15 lbs of jerky. Its expensive, but a fraction of the cost if I was buying it in the stores. And 15 lbs of jerky is still alot of jerky.

Comment

how much was a commercial machine/dehydrator?

Comment

Working...
        X