Tog - Baked in Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tog - Baked in Salt

Always wanted to try it but seemed to forget when it came time for to cook em up... So, with a little extra time over the Holidays I decided we're gonna grab a few fresh tog out of the holding pen and throw them in the oven, whole, minus the entrails...

I have to say, it was probably one of the best tog meals I ever had....

I started by getting thier bed ready...

Then cleaned them up....

Tucked them in with Rosemary and Basil inside and out...covered in Kosher salt...

Baked them for about 30 minutes on 400F...

Then you very carefully crack the salt and remove all that you can, peel the skin, keeping salt away from the meat....pick the carcass clean...kids and I are ready to bake a few more...

man oh man, that is some good eats....
    1987 21b[br]Ocean City, MD[br]Captain - Master 50GT[br]Maryland Fishing Guide[br]Running Tide Charters[br]

I have done this with whole mutton snapper and it's awesome. Has to be epic with togs.
    1990 Mako 211 \"Law Enforcement Edition\" with 2013 Suzuki DF 175[br]2008 13\' Tracker V-Bottom with four stroke 15 Merc[br]1995 Classic Contender 25 with Twin E-Tec 150s (sold)[br]1987 Oceanic 21 with Rude 200 OceanPro (sold)[br]Hollywood, FL[br][br]

Comment

yea, it is really good...I was out with my wife this past Sunday and when I got home, my daughters snuck down to the dock and picked out 2 tog, filleted them and stuffed with backfin crab meat that we froze this past fall....need I say more...
      1987 21b[br]Ocean City, MD[br]Captain - Master 50GT[br]Maryland Fishing Guide[br]Running Tide Charters[br]

Comment

Picked out 2 tog.? From the freezer or water?

Never kept tog like that. FW trout yes but always fillet tog. Ill try this....looks nasty but hey don't knock it until you try it.

Side note give me a shout

[email protected]
        1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

brando, I live on the water...I keep em alive under the dock in a pen...so we usually have fresh fish unless the water gets too warm then we only keep crabs and bait...fish go in the freezer.

It's nice to have fresh fish in December and January when the weather rarely co-operates....

yea, i thought it looked nasty too but was really surprised at how good they came out...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by makonut

brando, I live on the water...I keep em alive under the dock in a pen...

That is wicked cool! You feed em? Big pen? Muscles off the pilings?
            1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Yea, we feed em...we usually throw some bank muscles in there but once the water cools below 45 they do not eat much. I like the piling idea...i need to build a pen that wraps around the pilings and then move it from pile to pile...kind of like goats...

As for pen size I can keep 8 to 10 in a commercial crab pot with the openings closed...just drop another pen in when needed...the most we ever had in captivity were 36 Tog in a huge mesh enclosure...that was 36" diameter and 36" deep...we kept green crabs in there without claws so it was a free for all for the tog...an all you can eat crab feast!!!!!

Comment

quote:

Yea, we feed em...we usually throw some bank muscles in there but once the water cools below 45 they do not eat much. I like the piling idea...i need to build a pen that wraps around the pilings and then move it from pile to pile...kind of like goats...

As for pen size I can keep 8 to 10 in a commercial crab pot with the openings closed...just drop another pen in when needed...the most we ever had in captivity were 36 Tog in a huge mesh enclosure...that was 36" diameter and 36" deep...we kept green crabs in there without claws so it was a free for all for the tog...an all you can eat crab feast!!!!!

We need to catch up...any guy who goes to these measures is hard core. I got two sayings in my house...The adventure never ends and hardcore all the way! You got em both down. I kid you not those salted togs popped in my head several times today. I can't wait to try them.

My pops is gonna love it when I tell him of the tog farmer in OC. He is tog crazy!

Comment

quote:

you must be in high demand for blackfish tourneys I suck at blackfishing.

up here you wouldn't be able to keep that many, someone would find out and DEC would probably break your shoes thinking your selling them. Sucks

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by pjj2107

quote:

you must be in high demand for blackfish tourneys I suck at blackfishing.

up here you wouldn't be able to keep that many, someone would find out and DEC would probably break your shoes thinking your selling them. Sucks

I'm sure it's a covert black opp

Comment

Yea, we do catch a lot of tog...

Here's one of my sons and I from a trip in March...smallest was 6lbs...largest was 12lbs

Pair caught on a snafu rig...ones just under 10lbs and the other is 11lbs...

not sure about keeping them but figure we aren't doing anything wrong...we caught them legally..if they're in the freezer or in a pen...no difference to me. Just tastier when scooped out, bled, cleaned, cooked, and eaten!

Comment

I've never bled a tog....didn't think you needed too. Seems you are the local tog king so maybe I'll try it. Who's charter boat was that? Morningstar?

Comment

Yep, I bleed all fish...I think they taste cleaner...especially if making cevice...

Yea, one of my sons deck handed for monty 2 years ago...and another did some maintenance and reef building with him...we try to go at least once or twice a year...it nice to sit back and not worry about anything but fishing and relaxing...were trying to work out out schedules for another march trip...probably around st pats day..

Comment

quote:

Yep, I bleed all fish...I think they taste cleaner...especially if making cevice...

Yea, one of my sons deck handed for monty 2 years ago...and another did some maintenance and reef building with him...we try to go at least once or twice a year...it nice to sit back and not worry about anything but fishing and relaxing...were trying to work out out schedules for another march trip...probably around st pats day..

If you need another man, let me know

Comment

it's an open boat but I'll let you know when we're going if your interested...he usually sells out at 12 to 16 clients for Tog...25 for sea bass...if it's cold the boat isn't always full either...I'll let you know what's what as we get closer...

Comment

Working...
                              X