GM 6.5L diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM 6.5L diesel

I have been lurking a bit, new job and farm in all my spare time is keeping me busy.

I just picked up a 2002 Chevy 3500HD 12ft flat bed stake body dump with a 6.5L turbo diesel, 150,000 miles, for the farm. I recall there are a few motor heads here with a great deal of experience. I am looking for advice.

What I'm reading is people either love or hate these engines. The previous owner (delivery truck for a small town lumber yard) kept it maintained, replaced the turbo, but no other problems. I drove it 3 hours without issues. I was going to replace the fuel lift pump, PMD (and relocate) for the injector pump, or do I really need to if they are working fine? Have any of you replaced a harmonic balancer? Should I do that preemptively? New injectors? What should I replace before it fails rather than repair as necessary?

thanks for your time!
    Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

if that is really the 6.5 thats the last year they used the detroit egines in the gm platform and came out with duramax.

the relocation is of the black box for the injection brain, it gets too hot and they relocate them to the intake manifold. there is a kit, if you need i can send you a part number, i think napa has them. Theyre great engines, used in multiple applications for over a decade, but the electronics started to fail because they had just began integrating them in the late 90s

I wouldnt do the balancer, these engines arent like the cummins ones that go a million without breaking, unless your timing marks are off or the belts wearing uneven id just leave it be. you will eventually do a top end rebuild and most likely an injection pump on it. when your wallet is open do some preventitive stuff then.

id just do the black box relocation and make sure your injection pump has the latest updates, which im unsure how that is done i I have a tech here in our shop that would know.
    Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

thanks Marc,

Yes. last year for the 6.5L in the HD trucks. the farm needs to pay for this, so anything I can put off allows me to rebuild machinery that are more immediate needs. I'll look up the NAPA PMD unit and relocate it.

I am not sure if the temp gauge is accurate, but it seems to be running a bit cool, maybe replace the thermostat too while I'm under the hood.

by the latest updates for the pump, do you mean a computer chip?

Duke
      quote:

Originally posted by muzzy1127

if that is really the 6.5 thats the last year they used the detroit egines in the gm platform and came out with duramax.

the relocation is of the black box for the injection brain, it gets too hot and they relocate them to the intake manifold. there is a kit, if you need i can send you a part number, i think napa has them. Theyre great engines, used in multiple applications for over a decade, but the electronics started to fail because they had just began integrating them in the late 90s

I wouldnt do the balancer, these engines arent like the cummins ones that go a million without breaking, unless your timing marks are off or the belts wearing uneven id just leave it be. you will eventually do a top end rebuild and most likely an injection pump on it. when your wallet is open do some preventitive stuff then.

id just do the black box relocation and make sure your injection pump has the latest updates, which im unsure how that is done i I have a tech here in our shop that would know.

Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

Comment

by latest updates on the pump, i mean there were software updates on the injection pump done by tuning. Years back i was technician at a dealer we had to install tags on the pump to show there was a completed update. Im sure theres aftermarket support, If it were me and i were in your shoes Id just relocate the black box, because that will fail due to the heat (frankly, it should have been done by now) and run it and fix as it breaks. its made it this far, 17 years now? itll be fine.

Not sure on your location but all diesels tend to run cool, you could look into a different thermostat application or put some cardboard in front of the radiator, also be sure the clutch fan isnt stuck on high.
        Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

Working...
        X