Replacing my 10 yr old F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my 10 yr old F150

I need to replace my 2008 F150 Supercrew, 130k miles, use it as a daily driver and tow my boat, 6k pounds dry weight, a mile back and forth to the ramp every week. I was back and forth on the 150/250 debate and settled om the 150. I'm looking for a used truck, and haven't been in the market for a truck in well, 10 years, so hoping some of you might have some insight on some of the newer engines and axle combinations? I see they make two twin turbo engines in a 2.7l and 3.6l, I suspect I'd be more prone to the 3.6l. Does anyone have any ideas about reliability on either of these engines and performance? I'll only be looking at models 2016 or newer? Additionally, I know little or nothing about axle ratios. I've seen them with a 3.31 and a 3.55 axle, what difference would that make in my towing and in my daily driving?

Final question, I've found several really new, really nice trucks for a pretty significantly lower price than I would expect, but they are all imported from Canada. For example I found a 2018 Supercrew, loaded, leather heated seats etc, with 1300 miles on it, for $35k. I will be calling Ford to see if the warranty is valid in the States, does anyone know of anything else I should be aware of? The speedo will probbably be in metric, but that doesn't bother me, I usually just drive as fast as I can anyway!

Thanks all.

My last three trucks I sold with 230k+ miles, but they were Chevrolet's. [8D][] Do you really need to sell it with 130k miles?
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

My last three trucks I sold with 230k+ miles, but they were Chevrolet's. [8D][] Do you really need to sell it with 130k miles?

without starting a chevy/ram/ford war, I'm partial to the Fords, never really liked GM, and the Rams do something funny with their 4 door trucks. I need the 6.5 foot bed, which makes it tough to find in a Ford, the 5.5 foot bed is much more popular. The Rams do something funny, with the 5.5 foot bed you get 4 full doors, they offer a 6.25 foot bed, and shrink the rear doors a little, so the rear seat space is tight, for me it's the worst of both worlds.
      This truck is the worst of maybe 5 F150's I've owned, not terrible, but a lot of annoying things that are difficult to fix, spark plugs, exhaust manifold to name a few, and now it just doesn't feel right, the engine feels "rough" at idle, but it's not missing or throwing any codes, in the last week it developed a "clunk" or "miss" in the driveline at highway speeds. I need a new windshield (long crack) and tires. Innately, I feel like I'm looking at a whole load of repair bills coming up, and figure I'd rather just trade up right now.

If anyone has any insight on the original questions, I'd be really appreciative.

Comment

All of the manufactures have their problems from time to time, but the overall serviceability of the fords for the last 15 years have been very disappointing. What engineer in their right mind would design a water pump that leaked coolant into the oil pan rather than on the garage floor when it failed. Ford...Or design a spark plug head combo that causes the plugs to be commonly broken at the 100k replacement interval....Oh, and how about 5 timing chains on their 4.0v6 it is so packed with garbage they had to run the 5th chain on the back of the engine, so when it needs even the smalest amount of service you have to completely pull the engine or tranny....yep...

My cousin owns a garage up in northern Mi and he regularly has to tell his ford truck customers that the frame is rusted and broken to the point it can not be fixed... ON 10 year old trucks...

Sorry but I had to vent....I love the looks of the ford trucks, they really have got the style...but what a train wreck...
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Not sure if you are still in market. In 2017 ford put a 10 speed behind the 3.5l Ecoboost, my father has one and I absolulty love it. They did increase hp in 17 as well and feels more powerful than perivious years. Compared to the 5.4, youd like almost any new f150 2.7 eco, 3.5, or the 5.0 V8
          Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Stroken

Not sure if you are still in market. In 2017 ford put a 10 speed behind the 3.5l Ecoboost, my father has one and I absolulty love it. They did increase hp in 17 as well and feels more powerful than perivious years. Compared to the 5.4, youd like almost any new f150 2.7 eco, 3.5, or the 5.0 V8

I ended up pulling the trigger on a 2016 with the 3.5L ecoboost, 6 speed tranny. So far it's fine, looks like i get significantly better mileage 17.5 vs 14.5 in the old truck as long as I keep it under 75. Over that it seems like it gets about the same 14.5 the old truck got.

Comment

I had a 94 f150 had 250K when I sold it, lady totaled it two years later...

Picked up a 2016 F250 4x4 6.2L V8 and love it. I would have a hard time going back to an F150. Almost as good gas mileage as the I6 in the F150, and doesn't strain a bit, and I use it hard for farm work. Does not even know it is towing my little 17. The only thing I'd change would be to get a diesel instead.
              Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

Comment

Working...
              X