Tree stump removal with charcoal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree stump removal with charcoal.

I have about 5 live tree stumps in my yard thanks to Hurricane Irma.

Stump diameter varies between a foot to 2.5 feet.

I have read about using Epsom salt to kill and dry the stump but would prefer to use charcoal and a 55 gallon drum. I'm hoping this will be faster.

The idea is to cut the bottom out of a 55 gallon drum, place it over the stump, cover the stump with charcoal and let it smolder all day.

Has anyone tried this or any advice?
    1971 Angler 17[br]2000 Johnson 150[br]Miami, Fl

Only way I have ever removed a stump is with a stump grinder, either by a professional or renting a grinder from Home Depot. I had 8 removed at one time and it took 2 hours at the most. Similar size to what you are talking about.
    Mark Kriz[br]Mako15 1974[br]Mercury Thunderbolt 800 1972[br]Maple Valley, WA[br][br]

Comment

I tried the method on a lead tree that went down during the storms, it was a huge pain in the ass. While it eventually worked. I had to Use a lot of charcoal and kerosene. I think Ill pay someone with a stump grinder next time
      1981 15\' Boston Whaler, 1987 MidOcean 26, 1973 22\' Mako (Hull+trailer for sale)

Comment

Stump grinder or have your friendly neighborhood backhoe owner rip em out.
        1975 Mako 26 Inboard[br]1976 Mako 23 Inboard[br]1984 Rhodes 19[br]Padanaram, MA

Comment

I tried that method once. Made a ton of cross cuts with the chain saw as deep as I could get, loaded it up and let it burn and it's still there after one bag. If you want it gone soon, grind it down.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks but I already bought everything.

The charcoal was on sale at Homedepot.

I will try and report back. I figure I have a 50/50 chance.

Comment

I will admit one thing, it is a lot more fun trying to burn a stump then grind it! []
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I have been using a Sawzall and a floorjack to get them out. Ive been averaging between 2 to 3 hours per stump.

You gotta look at it as a workout or you will go mad.

Comment

maybe add some diesel fuel to the mix for extra smoke effect. Sounds like a slow way to fix an issue. Rent an excavator and have some fun!
                  1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

Drill 1/2" holes and let it rot over a year or so, then burn, or have it ground, keep it dry while burning and it will remove all roots in a few days, it eventually ashes out till no more root!

BWP
                    [br]Starcraft Bluewater 180, 1988[br]1996 Mercury 115 2+2 exlpto[br]Project Link: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46572

Comment

Working...
                    X