Hurricane Michael

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Michael

I'm heading over to Panama City with my bbq team to feed people. I'm coming from New Orleans. If yall are in the area and know of people in need of food, please let me know. nolarefugee at g mail dot com

Here's our website, we're on FB too.

https://www.deswineintervention.org/hurricanerelief

https://www.facebook.com/deswine.intervention

If you live in between nola and Panama City and have any in kind donations you would like us to bring, please let me know. We are taking a toy hauler type of camper and intend on leaving it over there and have guys go back and forth to nola.

Not sure where exactly we're gonna setup yet, but we're leaving today or early Tuesday 10/16.

Kudos to you!
    1992 211 w/175 OptiMax
    Glen Campbell, Pa.

Comment

I was over in Lynn Haven on Saturday and it is very bad. Every tree is snapped in half and at least 95% of all the power lines are laying on the ground. With a trailer you will need to stay on the main roads or you might get stuck. The neighborhoods are mainly one way streets due to the debris. Panama City is getting a ton of help which is awesome. Don't overlook points farther east and north. Good luck and thank you for your efforts!
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Hats off to you, it's a great thing you're doing. I clicked on your link to make a small donation, thanks for your compassion.

Comment

I'm writing this from the road actually speaking into my phone. The trailer that was loaned to us as a three axle trailer. All the tires need to be replaced. I found that out last night while entering Alabama. Spent the night at the rest stop the Welcome Center rest stop.

Comment

I was able to find two tires last night and got them installed. I got four more this morning.

Comment

Having some issues posting from my phone, sorry about the multi posts....

Comment

And a fella that was staying next to us last night at the rest stop gave me two unmounted tires to take with me got one of those mounted on the spare. Eastbound & Down now just got into Florida making my way over to hopefully Mexico Beach area. The tires were from 2005.

Comment

Awesome

Keep us posted
                  1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

As far as spare tires are concerned, sounds like you're sorted out now, but keep in mind, trailer tires mounted on rims can be found in various sizes at places like Walmart or Tractor supply, I bet Home Depot or Lowes probably carries them as well. There's been a few times that those stores have come in handy late at night when there wasn't an other option aside form waiting for a tire shop to open in the morning.

Comment

UPDATE: We ended up going to a Frimet to Z auto repair on the western side of PCB. Mike, the owner, let us stay in the back of his shop. He had a 50 amp hookup and water for the camper. We cooked there for a solid day and a half. Cooked a huge gumbo and then red beans. We were given a place in Callaway FL called High Praise church. So after cooking and cooling down our food, we drove over there. 20ish miles and it took nearly 2 hours.

We got there and they had plenty of room for us, we setup and served thousands of people over the next three or four days. Red beans and rice, then gumbo the next day. Ran out of those, then threw together a chicken and rice dish. Also had a large grill which we had a griddle on top of to make quesadillas. After the chicken and rice was gone, we cranked out hundreds of chicken and cheese quesadillas.

The folks there were very grateful. Had been eating MREs and hot dogs. A team called Holy Smokes was there cooking pork and doing a great job.

We made it back home in one piece. The next week we went for two days. This time we cooked the food before we left nola. Same menu but different church. This time we went to St Dominic, which was just north a little from where we were. The previous location had been turned into a fema distribution center.

Again the folks were grateful and happy to get something good to eat. A lot of the people still don't have power and a good hot meal can really lift the spirits.

We're planning another trip, but may have to wait till Thanksgiving break. May take the kids so they can experience serving others like this, it was a rewarding experience.

Thank you to those that have donated.

Comment

Well done...It makes me so proud to see your support....

d
                        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

Well done...It makes me so proud to see your support....

d

Ditto... Well done indeed...
                          Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

We are currently planning our third trip to coincide with Thanksgiving break so our children can take part in the experience.

We have received monetary donations to help pay for our cooking supplies and fuel to make the trip. We have also received in kind donations that we deliver to distribution centers in the hardest hit areas.

If you live in New Orleans or along the route to PCB, let me know if you have items you would like to donate. Email me - nolarefugee at gmail dot com

Connect with us:

www.DeswineIntervention.org/hurricanerelief

www.facebook.com/deswineinterventionbbq

Deswine Intervention is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Comment

UPDATE: The Monday before Thanksgiving, I ended up taking my three kids and a uhaul 12ft enclosed trailer over to Springfield FL. Cooked and served a lot of folks over there. Kids (aged 12, 12, 15) did great cooking and serving people. Great experience for them.

We are thinking of a Christmas break trip over for a few days.

Thank you to all who donated to help with fuel and food costs, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X