Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snorkeling- full face mask or traditional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snorkeling- full face mask or traditional?

Hey gang

My wife and I are prepping for our first trip to Hawaii .

I was practicing with my current snorkel gear (traditional) in our pool . It has a small leak sometimes and sometimes fogs up.

I have seen the full face snorkel masks , seen mixed reviews on them

Anyone on here use the full face snorkel masks?

Pros, cons?

We normally snorkel in 5-15ft of water and I will occasionally swim down in the deep to see cool fish at the bottom.

Thanks for any feedback.
    1986 Mako 224 , 06 Optimax 225[br]Gilbert, AZ[br]

with some of the full face masks it can be difficult to equalize your ears when free diving

how long have you had your current mask and does it fit well, is it a good quality mask, what defog are you using in it?
    76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ssfishx

with some of the full face masks it can be difficult to equalize your ears when free diving

how long have you had your current mask and does it fit well, is it a good quality mask, what defog are you using in it?

Thanks for responding, we have had our masks for about 9 years. They aren't expensive, brands are Body Glove and US Divers. I don't remember spending too much on them, probably purchased from a sporting goods store.

I haven't used any anti fog stuff, any suggestions?

Does a film of Vaseline help the mask seal with the face?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Reel Effort

quote:

Originally posted by ssfishx

Thanks for responding, we have had our masks for about 9 years. They aren't expensive, brands are Body Glove and US Divers. I don't remember spending too much on them, probably purchased from a sporting goods store.

I haven't used any anti fog stuff, any suggestions?

Does a film of Vaseline help the mask seal with the face?

Yes and yes. I've always found spit to be a good way to keep a clean lens, but there are commercial products you can purchase that will do the same. If the mask it in good condition you should not need vasaline for a good seal, unless you have a beard.

D-
        Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

I say traditional. Scrub the inside of the lens with cream toothpaste, or YouTube the lighter trick. Before you get in the water spit in the mask and scrub it around with your finger. Rinse and dive.

I have an odd shaped face so I have a hard time finding a mask that fits well, Vaseline helps especially if you have facial hair or Big bushy eyebrows.
          1989 Mako 261[br]SOLD - 1987 231 restore/rebuild http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46836&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

I say traditional. Scrub the inside of the lens with cream toothpaste, or YouTube the lighter trick. Before you get in the water spit in the mask and scrub it around with your finger. Rinse and dive.

I have an odd shaped face so I have a hard time finding a mask that fits well, Vaseline helps especially if you have facial hair or Big bushy eyebrows.
            1989 Mako 261[br]SOLD - 1987 231 restore/rebuild http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46836&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

Sounds good

I actually saw that lighter trick today on YouTube, not sure if I am comfortable doing that just yet #128512;

I did do the 'put the mask to my face and inhale thru nose' trick to check seal, and i didn't seem to notice a leak unless I inhaled hard.

I'll try that spit trick and see if that works, if not I might try a new mask, mine has been stored in the garage in Arizona the past two years

Thank you

Comment

For the Mask, if it is Rubber, check the sealing surfaces for signs of dry rot. Would be hardening of the rubber and small cracks. If you have dry rot, toss it and buy a good Dive Mask from a Dive Shop. Might have to wait till you get to Hawaii. If it is Silicone, check the sealing surfaces for tiny nips, similar to a bug taking a bite out of it. Have had this problem w/ older equip. Same solution, toss and replace.

The test you did is the standard way to check a fit. Put the mask up to your face, without using the strap, and inhale deeply thru your nose. Let go of the mask and shake your head back and forth, up and down. If it stays on, you have a winner.

For fogging, your mask sounds old enough that scrubbing w/ toothpaste is not needed. You only need to do that when buying a new mask to get the mfg and storage films off. An inexpensive anti-fog is a VERY dilute solution of baby shampoo, applied with a spritzer, or drops. Or, you can buy the commercial stuff, but need to reapply each time you go snorkeling, not each dive, but if say you take a break for a few hours. Or, use natures own, saliva. Either way you go, be sure to cover the entire surface of glass and just give a real quick rinse.

Have a good trip.
                Bill[br]Farmingdale, NY[br]\'74 Mako 26 Inboard[br]\'78 Mako 20 w/135 Merc[br]\'84 Achilles SR135[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MakoDiver

For the Mask, if it is Rubber, check the sealing surfaces for signs of dry rot. Would be hardening of the rubber and small cracks. If you have dry rot, toss it and buy a good Dive Mask from a Dive Shop. Might have to wait till you get to Hawaii. If it is Silicone, check the sealing surfaces for tiny nips, similar to a bug taking a bite out of it. Have had this problem w/ older equip. Same solution, toss and replace.

The test you did is the standard way to check a fit. Put the mask up to your face, without using the strap, and inhale deeply thru your nose. Let go of the mask and shake your head back and forth, up and down. If it stays on, you have a winner.

For fogging, your mask sounds old enough that scrubbing w/ toothpaste is not needed. You only need to do that when buying a new mask to get the mfg and storage films off. An inexpensive anti-fog is a VERY dilute solution of baby shampoo, applied with a spritzer, or drops. Or, you can buy the commercial stuff, but need to reapply each time you go snorkeling, not each dive, but if say you take a break for a few hours. Or, use natures own, saliva. Either way you go, be sure to cover the entire surface of glass and just give a real quick rinse.

Have a good trip.

I'm assuming you mean shake my head while inhaling , if so then it did stay against my face.

Thank you for the help

Comment

Working...
                  X