Are schools really that bad in tampa and surroundi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are schools really that bad in tampa and surroundi

Are schools in tampa and surrounding areas really that bad?

We live in Augusta ga and our son goes to a good private school, we got a job offer but probably we won't be able to afford private school down there, been doing research in different forums and other sites and it seems like the school system sucks, is that true, is private school basically the way to go?

How much are private school more or less?

Our son just started 6th grade and we are paying about $10k a year, cost of living in tampa or surrounding areas is what it will hurts us money wise and wnot be able to aford private. We've been wanting to move down there for about 8 years and we visit tampa every year, have some family and friends.

I've started a thread in another forum and things aren't looking good, in fact we are starting to get discouraged and don't really know what to do at this point as we don't want to regret the decision. I really hate where I live, is great to raise a family and low cost of living but other than that there isn't much I like, but I don't really want to put my son's future at risk, but at the same time I feel I have wasted 11 years of my life here.

Thanks for any input.
    [br]JR[br]1983 Mako 224 with twin 115 Mariners under the knife.[br]1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

Depends on where you live. South Tampa has an excellent school district. Other good spots here and there as well.

Where is the job offer from?

test
    1981 15\' Boston Whaler, 1987 MidOcean 26, 1973 22\' Mako (Hull+trailer for sale)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Keven

Depends on where you live. South Tampa has an excellent school district. Other good spots here and there as well.

Thank you, job is very close to the airport, about 12 minutes.
      [br]JR[br]1983 Mako 224 with twin 115 Mariners under the knife.[br]1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

Comment

Advice from my parents (my mother was a teacher)

- Never never EVER let your kids see the inside of a government school.
        Bungo Pete[br]Portland Maine[br]1970 Mako 22, 200 HP Mariner

Comment

It's just like anywhere. Some areas are better than others. The area I live in has A-rated schools and IMO terrible private schools. My wife teaches at the largest elementary School in the state and it's usually an A school with over 1,200 kids.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by wellcraft

quote:

Then I would say you have plenty of options for good school districts...renting or buying? Budget?

12 min which way from the airport?
            1981 15\' Boston Whaler, 1987 MidOcean 26, 1973 22\' Mako (Hull+trailer for sale)

Comment

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by wellcraft

quote:

Then I would say you have plenty of options for good school districts...renting or buying? Budget?

12 min which way from the airport?

Is in Anderson dr going north, looks like is next to town and country. Trying to stay under $1500 a month for rent.

Comment

Are you willing to commute? If so go a little west. Away from population and inner city.

Do you still have the 224?
                [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bungo Pete

Wow! Paranoid much?
                  1985 Mako 21B w/ 2013 Yamaha F300[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42046 [br]1967 Boston Whaler 13\'[br]1971 Boston Whaler 13\'[br]Richmond Hill,GA[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by snappergapper

Are you willing to commute? If so go a little west. Away from population and inner city.

Do you still have the 224?

We are willing to commute some as we would like to be away of the crud a bit.

I still have the 224 but is not done yet, will be painting the boat and it will be for sale. I have a carolina classic 28 now and a whaler 15.

I also have a project 228 that never got to do anything and its for sale, just haven't put it in here yet.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Doc Fees

quote:

Wow! Paranoid much?

Same thoughts as you Doc.

Comment

Depending where your work is and how you want to commute. I would head north of the airport. Lutz, Land o Lakes, ODessa and citrus park. I live in Land o Lakes which is about 20-30 min from the airport via veterans expressway.

Comment

Really depends what you're looking for in life. You certainly get more bang for your buck the farther north you go but schools are hit and miss and the excitement factor drops tremendously. Might be good for kids/families though.

Pinellas county has a lot to offer and Safety Harbor would be a neat spot for you if you're commuting to T&C. Otherwise I would stick to S Tampa but $1500 in rent won't go that far.

Comment

quote:

I went to a public school then graduated ivy league.

My kid went to a public school then graduated top of his class at a medium sized private university and is now a teacher.

Its all what you put into it.
                            1975 Mako 26 Inboard[br]1976 Mako 23 Inboard[br]1984 Rhodes 19[br]Padanaram, MA

Comment

Working...
                            X