Colorado Dreamin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Dreamin'

Just returned from a little over a month of Jeeping and motorcycling the Rockies of Colorado, including a week of volunteering with the San Juan Historical Society in Silverton, CO on some Steam Train related projects.

Weather was fabulous, and we enjoyed the company of family & friends for much of the time.

If I can figure out how to post pics, will add a few.

Okay... Here's a few from this year. Colorado had near-record low amounts of snow pack this past winter, allowing us to get to places, including many above 13,000 ft, that we had never seen in the previous 25-plus years of Jeeping this area...[8D]

Jeeping Dog (Conan the Barkarian, who is an 11 yr-old Doxie) & I standing near where the above shot was taken. Elevation of just over 13,500 ft ! ! ! A bit hard to breathe and hike/walk much up here, due to the limited oxyegen for this flat-lander, but the views were stunning, making the hike to this peak WELL worth it...[8D]

Ruins of a smelter situated near the Mineral Point mine...

The lift-house situated over the mine shaft for the American Girl Mine in the Red Mtn. Mining District. This was built in the 1880's, and surviving today due to the efforts of local historical societies being allowed to "maintain" it by the current owners. It is noted as THE most photographed building in all of Colorado... [:0]

We got in a day or two of riding with friends who came from MI, CA, and my neighbors across the street from me in AZ (first in pic). We were stopped for one of Colorado's two seasons... Road Construction (the other season is Winter... LOL... [}])

Preparing for a ride from the KOA campground we were staying in. [8D]

Another gorgeous view from approx. 11,000 ft elevation...

Govenors Basin above Ouray, CO. First time we've been in this Basin in close to 8-9 years due to normal snow packs, blocking the trails... Note the lack of trees in the area. We are WELL above tree line here.

We got rained/sleet/hailed on coming down from an area we've previously been unable to get to in the past 25-plus years. (Note: We got a dose of the same on one of our Motorcycle rides coming north on the "Million Dollar Highway (US 550) over Coal Banks and Molass Passes on our way back to Camp. FWIW: I can assure you that it's MUCH more pleasant to experience this in a closed vehicle... [:I])

Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

I look forward to it as usual.Try Imgur
    1985 Mako 21B w/ 2013 Yamaha F300[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42046 [br]1967 Boston Whaler 13\'[br]1971 Boston Whaler 13\'[br]Richmond Hill,GA[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ob1jeeper

Just returned from a little over a month of Jeeping and motorcycling the Rockies of Colorado, including a week of volunteering with the San Juan Historical Society in Silverton, CO on some Steam Train related projects.

Weather was fabulous, and we enjoyed the company of family & friends for much of the time.

If I can figure out how to post pics, will add a few.

As always Im looming forward to it. Photo bucket is back up so you should be good
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Very cool pics, but where are the train related pics?? []
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Very cool pics, but where are the train related pics?? []

Still have TONS to get off the camera card and sort through, but here are a couple for now...
          Below is the original "Engine House" from the mining era, located in Silverton, CO. It's been "Sorta-stabilized", at least sufficiently to act as a work shed for rail car restores and to "winter-store" Engine 315, one of the original steam engines from the era. Most recently, (about 5-7 years ago) Engine #315 was restored in Durango under a plastic tarp/canopy, where it was rescued from a city park.

The Silverton - San Juan Historical society has applied for a $250,000 grant to restore the engine house next, as there are portions of the foundation which are beginning to settle, causing issues with building stability.

To the left of the large bay doors, you can see the corner of the "oil shed", which is a replica of the original, as the original collapsed under the weight of a heavy snow-pack about 7-8 years ago. Brother Ron & I laid foundation for it approx 3 years ago, and this year Ron & I built the doors, door & window frames, and began the shutters, as well as some interior work. All restoration work on these buildings are done to original prints, in attempts to retain historical correctness.

Pictured here (L-R) are Jerry Hoffer, brother Ron, and I taking a break in the shade of the Engine house. Jerry is an interesting character, and one of the last remaining miners from the mines in the Silverton, CO area. He was the head Electrical Engineer in the Sunnyside Mine above Eureka, which experienced a tunnel collapse when the tunnel got too close to a lake above the tunnel. Jerry's current role is as a board member on the San Juan Historical Society in Silverton, CO. He is our contact and supervisor for ongoing projects.

Comment

Very cool. I always enjoy pics from your trips, thanks for sharing.

This did get me thinking...whatever happened to the Jeep you were building?
            \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
            \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ChuckB

Very cool. I always enjoy pics from your trips, thanks for sharing.

This did get me thinking...whatever happened to the Jeep you were building?

Chuck,

Glad to share some pics of our travels & a bit of background on the steam train activities...
              As for my stretch TJ project, I've made some, but little progress... [B)] Lots of reasons/excuses, but the bottom line is that it's up on a hoist to clear enough floor space to store "stuff that should not be outdoors", until I can get the county to issue a permit for a storage building, and move this "stuff", and the three cars I have in storage across town, back home.

Have been at the mercy of the "Building Services Division" (and I use that term loosely) for just shy of 21 months as of this writing... Hoping to get another round of "needed design/drawing corrections" (according to the County) on the engineered drawings back to them next week... [B)]

No need to go into lengthy details, but this is a simple retangular metal building of approx 3000 sq ft with NO plumbing and NO electrical components... Just a bare-bones metal box, and, I must admit that I'm about at my wits end with them, with absolutely ZERO to show for it other than frustration...[B)][!][V]

Comment

Great pics Steve.

D-
                Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Steve

Great photos. As a current employee working for a mining company, I always love to see this stuff and appreciate it's history.

This is on my bucket list for sure!

Keep sharing the adventures.
                  1986 Mako 224 , 06 Optimax 225[br]Gilbert, AZ[br]

Comment

Working...
                  X