No announcement yet.

Getting a new(er) vehicle - (bought it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new(er) vehicle - (bought it)

I am looking at a truck. Right now, I just need something for most basic use.

I have a chance right now at what seems to be a good deal on a 2015 Dodge RAM SLE ?QuadCab? (4-door). It has the V-6 engine (the only real downfall), but from the pictures is it immaculate. Milage = 55K and asking price = $21K.

My only concern is the V-6 (I've always had a V-8). I know this will equal better highway mileage, and I don't tow that often. When I do tow, it is either a 18ft GatorTail rig or a 21ft Boston Whaler Revenge.

What does the CM collective think of this truck?

Thanks,

Pat
    18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

im assuming its a 2wd? If 4x4 that price is a steal.

Auction prices on a similar truck in 2wd with the 3.6 v6 gas engine (they offer a smaller v6 diesel in the 1500s now) are about 17-19,000 with the milage you gave. So a clean truck from a dealer or private seller would easily be worth that asking price.

I, However, am a fan of the older v-8s. manufacturers had to make the v-6 for the fuel economy.

Ironically when my dad had an explorer v-8 and my brother had the v6, my dad got the better mileage. they were both highway commuters. the v-8 cruised at a lower rpm. I cant answer the longetivy portion, my brother sold his and dad totalled his.

Most standard half ton trucks come v-6 nowadays though. If you like it, price seems even with market.

I just refuse to part with my 2001 suburban with 700,000 miles or my 2000 ford excursion. Im never in the car market for myself. But for work ( I manage Estates for clients) I buy/sell a lot of vehicles.
    Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

OK. So, I ended up buying the 2015 RAM 1500 (SLE QuadCab).

So far, I'm not disappointed. Even with just a V6 it towed a 1978 Boston Whaler 21ft Revenge better than my old Chevy Silverado (w/ V8).

Seems to be a good buy so far. ...not sure I'm a converted RAM man yet, but it may become a possibility if the long term reliability is there.

-Pat.
      18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by muzzy1127

I just refuse to part with my 2001 suburban with 700,000 miles or my 2000 ford excursion.

700,000 miles on a suburban? that is impressive. Which motor and how many motors have you put in it? That would have to be a record for a 5.3 or the 6.2 diesel!
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

quote:

Originally posted by muzzy1127

I just refuse to part with my 2001 suburban with 700,000 miles or my 2000 ford excursion.

700,000 miles on a suburban? that is impressive. Which motor and how many motors have you put in it? That would have to be a record for a 5.3 or the 6.2 diesel!

5.3, its a 2001 has a bit more than 650K now. Original motor, transmission, actually the whole drivetrain is 100% original. It was consuming oil, but the 5.3 has an updated valve cover I swapped and maybe now loose 1/2 quart every 4,000 mi I have the original alternator still, changed AC compressor 3 times, just did the evaporator, Its on its 4th Front End (control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, axles {i always change as a set at once} few brake calipers here and there) just swapped the original radiator and I think ive done the waterpump twice. My father kept religious records to the point of writing down where he got gas, how much it was, how much fuel he added and the milage. I keep records of maintenance, but not the fuel seeing as my wife is a $40 and go kind of person.

My dad bought it new and I got it from him when I was dating my wife and she had kids, It had 300K on it in 2008 and the dealer offered him 300$ as a trade in so he gave it to her to drive with the kids safely in.

I actually have a customer with a yukon xl (denali) with the 6.0 with 900,000 miles but I dont know how many motors etc, and its getting tired.

my excursion has 7.3 and 388,000

Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

Good Greif Muzzy!

How many driver's seat cushions on the Suburban. I'd take a pic of mine (with 165,00) but I'm embarassed to let you see it.

Joe
            Ole Joe
            Just floundering around
            White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
            1978 Mako 25

Comment

Oil maybe leaking past the rear main seal. My 2005 Tahoe has a bit of a leak ,but uses none. Ran to Huntsville,Al. With no issues.Great vehicle!

Comment

very impressive Marc. My '99 pickup could have done that. I sold it with 230k and it was getting the same gas mileage from the day I bought it with 9 miles and zero oil burn - wish I could have kept it. My '04 on the other hand, sold with 235k, burned a quart a thousand miles and dripped oil out the front and rear seals, and smoked like a teenager vaping every once in a while, not too mention it went through three front ends, mainly drivers side, four water pumps, two alternators, a complete A/C system, and a dash cluster.
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Bought my 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4wd as a rebuilt crash, 15,000 miles and 18k$ No warranty....but then again....hopefully not needed....LOL..

dave
                  [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                  X