School me on types of lumbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on types of lumbers

I would like to build some chairs out of lumber but now I learned that not every mahogany is good for outdoors, what other woods are good for Marine environment?

Thanks
    [br]JR[br]1983 Mako 224 with twin 115 Mariners under the knife.[br]1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

Btw, if you can mention the type of specific wood, example, mahogany (african) etc...

I have always use whatever is in Lowe's or HD for other projects that doesn't really required a specific lumber, specially for Marine environment.
    [br]JR[br]1983 Mako 224 with twin 115 Mariners under the knife.[br]1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

Comment

Around here we can get Ipe fairly cheap. Cheaper than mahogany or teak for sure. Same maintainability as teak but cheaper. Probably just as hard too. It usually comes in 5/4 s4s.

Good luck
      \'79 20 175 \'rude[br]Sacramento, CA (Deep behind enemy lines!!)[br]...something fishy this way comes...[br]http://www.westernsteelcouncil.org[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13979

Comment

Yeah, Ipe is good stuff.
        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Awesome, thank you guys. I just did a quick search and.it looks like a really nice lumber. I'm going to see if we can find it here in ga.

Thank guys.

Comment

I third Ipe, but we were in Newbern, NC and there was a furniture store there that had nothing but outdoor furniture and it was all made from Brazilian Cherry. Ipe is Brazilian Walnut.
            72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

Working...
            X