Mahogany in Georgia???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany in Georgia???

I remember a few years ago of a member that used to get mahogany here in Georgia, not sure if it was scrap pieces or what but I'm trying to get some planks for a project. Not sure f the sizes yet but I would like to know where to find mahogany, not sure if there is a specific one for Marine but will consider teak also.

Thanks.
    [br]JR[br]1983 Mako 224 with twin 115 Mariners under the knife.[br]1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

No specific variant of mahogany for marine applications.

There are several species of wood advertised as mahogany. The most common is African Mahogany.

Cant help you on the locations, generally most major metro areas have a specialty hardwoods distributor. Try google using "hardwood" and your nearest major city.

I guarantee you won't consider teak after you see the price.[] It's running more than 4x the price of African mahogany per board foot.

You might also consider IPE. Its a really good hardwood similar to mahogany.

good luck!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Headcase

No specific variant of mahogany for marine applications.

There are several species of wood advertised as mahogany. The most common is African Mahogany.

Cant help you on the locations, generally most major metro areas have a specialty hardwoods distributor. Try google using "hardwood" and your nearest major city.

I guarantee you won't consider teak after you see the price.[] It's running more than 4x the price of African mahogany per board foot.

You might also consider IPE. Its a really good hardwood similar to mahogany.

good luck!

Thank you, I quickly realized after posting here how expensive the teak is so I'm forgetting that one. I did a search last night and this morning for ipe but it looks like is basically available as decking sizes at least in my area and I need pieces of 1", 3/4", 24"24"1.5" and another piece that I'm not sure yet of the size but I know is smaller than the last size I posted here. Most like likely I'll have better luck with mahogany.
      [br]JR[br]1983 Mako 224 with twin 115 Mariners under the knife.[br]1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

Comment

I buy it from Suwanee lumber and Hardwoods Inc in Atlanta. Georgia Hardwoods in Buford has it also.
        Nick Dodge[br]Maysville, GA[br]1990 Mako 261 Broken Arrow[br][br]Project Thread- http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56182&whichpage=1

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by dodge

I buy it from Suwanee lumber and Hardwoods Inc in Atlanta. Georgia Hardwoods in Buford has it also.

I was almost positive you were going to chime in as I belive you have a nice shop. Do you know if they have Ipe?

After recommendations here I might go with that instead of mahogany, the problem might be the size I need, about 1.75" thick, by about 21" 19" or 20" wide and other smaller pices.

Comment

You can buy IPE from brazilian wood depot in Buford. I would not put ipe on my boat though. It checks too much and is finicky about holding a finish. It is hard and a pain to work with.
            Nick Dodge[br]Maysville, GA[br]1990 Mako 261 Broken Arrow[br][br]Project Thread- http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56182&whichpage=1

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by dodge

You can buy IPE from brazilian wood depot in Buford. I would not put ipe on my boat though. It checks too much and is finicky about holding a finish. It is hard and a pain to work with.

What do you suggest instead, mahogany for that reason?
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X