Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power winch setup

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Power winch setup

    I have a power winch on my trailer and I have never hooked up the power cable permanently. I tow with a F150 and was never crazy about running the wire under the truck and hooking directly to the battery for power and the frame for ground, I never had any great idea of where to run and store the wire. Typically I use a battery pack jump starter to power the winch. Wondering what other guys do for power to a powerwinch? Thanks.

  • #2
    I ran both the +/- directly to the battery, along the frame, without issue. Got everything on Amazon for roughly $60, lugs, #6 wire, and quick connects

    Runs my 10,000# winch fine, nothing gets hot


    [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

    Comment


    • #3
      DMack sent a picture of how he set his up recently. he said it worked fine in the driveway but his troubleshooting why it didn't work at the boat ramp.


      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

      Comment


      • #4
        quote:


        Originally posted by Sailor


        DMack sent a picture of how he set his up recently. he said it worked fine in the driveway but his troubleshooting why it didn't work at the boat ramp.





        Slacker, I would have put at least two more wire ties on there. []
        David, New Kent, Va[br]



        [br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

        Comment


        • #5
          That's why it's called the "hot wire".
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
          1978 Mako 25

          Comment


          • #6
            Rather than run a #6 cable to the winch, why not add second battery on the trailer with a normal sized, fused charging wire? Thats what

            I did for the winch on my trailer.

            Comment


            • #7
              quote:


              Originally posted by Jeff258


              Rather than run a #6 cable to the winch, why not add second battery on the trailer with a normal sized, fused charging wire? Thats what I did for the winch on my trailer.



              That's what i am leaning towards, what do you do for charging? I only have about 1/2 mile run from the house to the ramp, so vehicle charging is probably not an option. Thanks.

              Comment


              • #8
                quote:


                Originally posted by footy3


                quote:


                Originally posted by Jeff258


                Rather than run a #6 cable to the winch, why not add second battery on the trailer with a normal sized, fused charging wire? Thats what I did for the winch on my trailer.



                That's what i am leaning towards, what do you do for charging? I only have about 1/2 mile run from the house to the ramp, so vehicle charging is probably not an option. Thanks.



                A 5 watt Solar panel and controller?
                [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

                Comment


                • #9
                  quote:


                  Originally posted by Sailor


                  DMack sent a picture of how he set his up recently. he said it worked fine in the driveway but his troubleshooting why it didn't work at the boat ramp.





                  Hahahahaha
                  1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    quote:


                    Originally posted by Sailor


                    DMack sent a picture of how he set his up recently. he said it worked fine in the driveway but his troubleshooting why it didn't work at the boat ramp.





                    That must be one of those new "Slipp-Zipp" ties I've heard so much about on the drive shaft.
                    M20 project-Finally Splashed!
                    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...r-bottom-paint
                    Gallery
                    https://forum.classicmako.com/member...kgfisher/media


                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X