Great Isaac Cay/Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Isaac Cay/Light

So has anyone on here ever taken their Mako from S.FL to Great Isaac Cay/Light, Bahamas? If so how big was the boat?
    1980 Mako 228 235 rude[br]

Yes....I have done it on as small as a Mako 221.

In July this year we went to Bimini (about 20 miles south of Isaac) on our current Mako 253 with a Mako 333 attack partner boat.

The weather is the key...mid to late summer is usually the calmest seas.If there is a "north" component to the wind ...do not recommend going
    Boca Raton, FL[br]Current: 2002 253[br]Former: 1995 19[br]Former: 1979 19b

Comment

I was there last year in my 243 Everglades.
      Sold the 17\', moved to FL... I need a new handle.[br]1991 Jupiter 31, current project[br]2005 Everglades 243, sold[br]2012 Contender 23 Open sold[br]1989 Intrepid 246 WA--gone to Australia[br]1973 Mako 17--sold with regrets[br]1992 Mako 17--started it all[br]Pompano, FL

Comment

I've done the crossing to Bimini a couple times on my 236 as well as on my last 256.

Hergro is right...with a good weather window it is an easy run. Gotta clear customs in Bimini and then it's an easy run (or troll) up to the light along the bank.

One time we were fueling up for the run home and there were two 16' flats boats waiting for the seas to lay down before heading back to the US....they said they had been there a couple weeks fishing the flats around Andros...would anchor on the lee sides of islands and pop up little pup tents right on their boats!
        [br]DonK[br]Boca Raton, FL[br]1979 236IB: \'The Fish Tank\'[br]1979 Backcountry 18 \'Boner\'[br]<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> J[br]Redneck Troubleshooting:[br]1) If it moves, but ain\'t supposed to, use Duct Tape[br]2) If it don\'t move, but supposed to, use WD40[br]3) If that don\'t fix it, it\'s electrical![br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by TheFishTank

One time we were fueling up for the run home and there were two 16' flats boats waiting for the seas to lay down before heading back to the US....they said they had been there a couple weeks fishing the flats around Andros...would anchor on the lee sides of islands and pop up little pup tents right on their boats!

That's hardcore!
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Yes... a little too brave for me .....my favorite are the Jet Skiers who cross to the Bahamas....look them up on YOUTUBE

Comment

Yes... a little too brave for me .....my favorite are the Jet Skiers who cross to the Bahamas....look them up on YOUTUBE

Comment

Looking at that crossing from the perspective of someone who's spent a lot of time fishing the northEast Canyons it looks like a cakewalk to me. Bimini is about 50 miles from Haulover Inlet. 25 miles out you're half way there. Pick your weather window and go as long as you have a properly equipped and reliable boat. There are also groups that make the run. I wish I lived down there.......I would be a regular crossing for fishing and surfing.

Comment

easy crossing, can get get pretty shitty with an NE wind
                  Simmer Down[br]\'03 Contender 23 Open, 250 HPDI[br]UPTIGHT[br]\'94 Mako 211 Classic, 250 OX66 --SOLD--[br]Miami[br][URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/wobbet60/media/Contender%2023/S5031021.jpg.html]

Comment

Simmer Down[br]\'03 Contender 23 Open, 250 HPDI[br]UPTIGHT[br]\'94 Mako 211 Classic, 250 OX66 --SOLD--[br]Miami[br][URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/wobbet60/media/Contender%2023/S5031021.jpg.html]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by wobbet60

All great info. Thanks!!
                      1980 Mako 228 235 rude[br]

Comment

Working...
                      X