Powder Coated T-Tops question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coated T-Tops question

I've never had a powder coating pretty much on anything. I'm wondering, if you have a T-Top that was factory powder coated, and you want to weld some additional rod holders to it, is it possible and how does it generally look if you try to re-powder coat it? I'm assuming you'd have to grind off the coating where you want to attach, but then does the heat ruin the coating near where you weld?

I did my t-top 12 years ago and welded before powercoating. I'm not sure how it would come out welding a top and touching up the powercoating. Never tried re-baking already baked powercoat and do not know how it bonds (melts) with the new material.

D-
    Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

powder coating will not touch-up like paint. most shops will want to sand blast and recoat the the entire top. sandblasting is the cheapest part of the job.
      1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

Ok, thanks for the replies, I guess the only choice would be to add some bolt on rod holders. Great info, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X