No announcement yet.

Motorcycling the Western US - Update 8/8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will find some great country to cruise around where you are now.

Have fun and try to keep your eyes on the road !
    John Host[br]Mako 23 \"Jolly Mon\"(sold)[br]Currently treading water[br][br]

Comment

Glad your having a fun safe trip. PT had done some serious miles before you and him even started. I bet he has saddle sores before he gets home, heheh you might also. Watch for deer, almost lost a co-worker the other night from a MC-deer strike....

dave
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

If you run any where near Sacto and have a few minutes for a cold one, I'm buying
        \'79 20 175 \'rude[br]Sacramento, CA (Deep behind enemy lines!!)[br]...something fishy this way comes...[br]http://www.westernsteelcouncil.org[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13979

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by grgrmouse

If you run any where near Sacto and have a few minutes for a cold one, I'm buying

You're on...[:0][][8D] Will keep you posted as I get closer...[]
          Made it to Oregon today... Am about an hour from the furthest NW corner/coast of Oregon, where I plan on heading in the morning, to begin the coastal ride.

Spoke to a wind surfer today on the Columbia river, who gave me some pointers on places to visit along the coast... This ride may take me a while...[:0][}][][]

PS: the wind surfers/kiters were having a banner day, with sustained winds in the canyon/gorge of close to 30 and standing waves on the water approaching 5 ft, due to the down-stream flow going against the wind...
          Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

FINALLY got a Wi-Fi strong enough to let me load some pics... So here goes...

Yellowstone National Park

Obligatory Old Faithful

Mineral deposits from hot springs near the Mammoth hot Springs area...

Hot pools

A number of STUNNINGLY beautiful lakes...

Wildlife for sure...

Look closely... There is a herd of them in this pic...

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone...

Will try to post up more tomorrow... Laundry is done, so I'm gonna hit the road and see what the Oregon Coastline looks like...[][][][][][][][]

Comment

Unfortunately, I have not had sufficient internet service to be able to post pics the past couple days (same for this evening), but I did ride the Oregon coast, then today rode over to Crater Lake, and did a couple laps around it...

Both are absolutely stunning in their own ways... I have nearly 700 pictures between the two that I'm sorting through, and as soon as I get decent internet service, I'll post a few up...

Am just East of Crescent City, CA for the evening, and intend to ride the CA coast south through the Redwoods tomorrow, then head towards Lassen Volcano, and Lake Shasta...

PS: passed the 6500 mile mark since leaving home on June 30th today...[][]

Comment

Nice pictures. Was at Lake Shasta last week...the water is beautiful and warm...be sure to jump in and cool off []

strick
                Oakley, California

Comment

email me at grgrmouse at hot mail dot com.
                  \'79 20 175 \'rude[br]Sacramento, CA (Deep behind enemy lines!!)[br]...something fishy this way comes...[br]http://www.westernsteelcouncil.org[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13979

Comment

Made it to CA this morning, and thru the Redwoods... Am in the Eureka area this evening, and on to Shasta and Lassen tomorrow... (and yup... you guessed it... TONS more pics that I need ot get sorted through...[}])

PS: Chuck... I have my swimsuit ready...[][]

Comment

You always have awesome pics, and document greatly.. Keep having fun and be safe
                      Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Strick

Nice pictures. Was at Lake Shasta last week...the water is beautiful and warm...be sure to jump in and cool off []

strick

Yeah, I'm still waiting on the fishin report......[]

Comment

Passed the 7000 mile mark a day or so ago... Have made it to Lake Tahoe last night. Am taking the day off to sight-see, do some laundry, etc. then will head south to see what else I can see on the way homeward...

Finally have decent wifi service so since my last pics were of Yellowstone area, guess I should update this a bit.

On the way to Glacier National Park, I followed the Lewis & Clark trail...

Weather starting to look a little "iffy" as I neared the east entrance to the park... I was able to get camp set up, but next day was rather "interesting"... Got to ride in rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow before the day was over...[}]

Lake St Mary, as you enter the Park east entrance...

And then it got damp enough to put on the rain gear...

No more pics until I got out of the west side of the park... Was afraid of getting the camera wet... I was cold and wet and it was still raining and scheduled to rain/snow that evening @ the campsite I had reservations for... SO, being the Arizona weenie that I am, I opted to ride onwards and found a warm dry room on the south end of Flathead Lake, in Polson, MT...[]

Next morning I met up with a friend and his GF from Missoula, who rides a 990 KTM dual-sport, who also brought along another friend on an BMW 1100GS, and we again rode through Glacier, on the going to the sun road... This time it was dry and beautiful...[)][)][)][]

And we got to see some Rocky Mtn Sheep...

You will notice someone sitting on the back of my Wing in a few of these pics... Dave had asked if his GF could ride on my Wing for a bit to see the differences. At the first stop, when Dave expected her to get back on with him, she informed him that she would just stay where she was.[}] And she did not get back onto his bike for the rest of the day, riding the rest of the way to East Glacier, and back over the going to the sun road, back to their place in Polson that evening...[:0][:I]

This is a pic she took of Dave riding in front of us...[}]

After Glacier, I rode on to Canada's norther half of Glacier, which they call Waterton Park, where I camped for the night, and took a cruise boat on Waterton Lake...

Entering Canada

Boat ride on Waterton... Looking into the US of A...

The Prince of Wales Hotel on the Lake..

Next morning, I headed for Banff, and Lake Louise, but as I crossed over the rockies to the western slopes, I was again greeted with freezing rain and sleet, and when I stopped for fuel I asked about the weather report where I was informed that it was going to last a "few days, but then turn better..." Being the weenie, I opted to head south to get out of the weather, which brought me back into the states, where I rode the Columbia River Gorge, the Oregon Coast, and visited Crater Lake... But more on that later... It's daylight outside, and time to see the sights of Lake Tahoe...[][][]

Comment

Very cool Steve! It's 95 down here in the Valley....

Comment

That is one loooong motorcycle ride Steve [)] f you are going through Lake Tahoe and into the Carson Vally the little town of Genoa is kinda cool and it has the oldest Bar in Nevada. Just don't drink and drive []

strick
                              Oakley, California

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Strick

That is one loooong motorcycle ride Steve [)] f you are going through Lake Tahoe and into the Carson Vally the little town of Genoa is kinda cool and it has the oldest Bar in Nevada. Just don't drink and drive []

strick

Cool information... Thanks for sharing that...[)][)][)] I've been visiting the Carson Valley and Lake Tahoe almost annually (some years multiple times) since 1972, and have passed through there countless times, but never stopped...[:I]
                                Well, the time for fun is drawing to a close... Am headed south tomorrow morning, with stops in Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, and San Bernadino to visit my nephew and family before heading home to AZ for a few days before getting in the truck and heading to MO for the remainder of the summer and fall.

It has been a GREAT adventure... Will try to get some time to upload the rest of the pics and finish this saga...[][8D][]

Comment

Working...
                                X