Family fishing trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family fishing trip

Got to get out Saturday for a family day. Wind wasn't bad but the current was stupid fast. We still managed a decent day though and I can't think of any better fishing buddies.

Now for the best part of the day. Cleanup!!

The new 4 stroke runs great and I'm getting about 2.5mpg at 25mph and about 4000rpm and 3mpg at 30mph and 4300rpm. I'm pleased with those numbers on this size of a boat.

Another cool thing was when we got back to the ramp there were 2 FWC biologists there doing studies on the fish being landed. They (with my permission) took the grouper and the vermilion and dug into their heads and got what they called "Ear Stones" out. They said that they would show them how old the fish were. The age would be compared to the length and weight to determine how well they are growing. It was very informative and my daughter loved watching them do it.
    '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Well Done...Did you have quite a few short grouper also? our ratio is about 30 or more shorts to each keeper. were heading out friday I think as its supposed to be really nice.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Well Done...Did you have quite a few short grouper also? our ratio is about 30 or more shorts to each keeper. were heading out friday I think as its supposed to be really nice.
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

awesome and thanks for sharing! Great smiles
        1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

awesome and thanks for sharing! Great smiles
          1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

Maybe 5 or 6 shorts. That was actually the first one of the day. The lanes and trigger fish were very active but the grouper didn't start until about 11 a.m. and were done in 30 minutes or so. We were in about 80ft of water, I usually drift the area because it's spread out but the current had us drifting at over 1mph so I had to anchor and I feel like that limited us on the grouper. This time of year I can usually count on 3-5 good ones from the area we were in.

Comment

quote:

Maybe 5 or 6 shorts. That was actually the first one of the day. The lanes and trigger fish were very active but the grouper didn't start until about 11 a.m. and were done in 30 minutes or so. We were in about 80ft of water, I usually drift the area because it's spread out but the current had us drifting at over 1mph so I had to anchor and I feel like that limited us on the grouper. This time of year I can usually count on 3-5 good ones from the area we were in.

Comment

Cool beans ... NOTHING beats making GREAT family memories...
                Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Great pics!
                  quote:

Head into deeper water Dave.
                  1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL
                  http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Great pics!

quote:

Head into deeper water Dave.

Agreed Dave. This time of year the keepers will be found around 80ft of water on the structure. Even if it's only small rock piles. We usually catch ours on scattered rock piles almost like debris fields.

Comment

Working...
                    X