North Coast Steelhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Coast Steelhead

Ole Joe asked me to post some steelhead pics from a recent trip. Funny how I forget how sought after steelhead are as they are in my backyard. I always envy you guys because of the reds and snook I catch when visiting, but steelhead are the fight of a lifetime on a tight strung fly line. Here are a few I caught recently;

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Smallmouth season is here soon and I will post a few of the bronze bombers when they start to fire off
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Man! Good greif! That is so neat.

What do you use? It looked like your son was holding an 8 or 9 weight in your post the other day. Are you using floating, sinking, or sink tip lines? And, technique? Is your steelhead fishery catch and release?

I am not a good fly fisher, far from it, but on the few occasions that I do, I love it.

Tell us more.

BTW, you don't look rusty or old from here. Are you are red head?
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

Comment

awesome pics. I love seeing fishing pics from far away places.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Joe:

I initially started with fresh spawn (egg sacs) under a float indicator, fish loves this but I really did not.

I now fish a 11'-6" 8wt switch rod. I use a skagit style fly line ( sort front weight heavy) and a sink tip. I generally swing large 3 inch flies with a strong current. When the steelhead hit they have one goal: take you fly, line and rod back to the lake asap! Awesome strike with many tail acrobatics.

I am not in a catch release area, but usually I just fish for fum with steelhead. My son is learning to swing flies also, and is doing pretty well.

As for the RustyOldDad: my kids gave me this name based on my previous career. I use to build off shore boat engines, mostly 500 cubic inch powerplants. I would often come home smelling like caustic solution from the cleaning solution we used. It left my hand and clothes rusty looking.....hence our rusty old dad. I accept your compliment for looking young! However, I will see 52 candles on may cake this year. Hope to have many more years fishing from my Mako!
        quote:

Originally posted by flounder

Man! Good greif! That is so neat.

What do you use? It looked like your son was holding an 8 or 9 weight in your post the other day. Are you using floating, sinking, or sink tip lines? And, technique? Is your steelhead fishery catch and release?

I am not a good fly fisher, far from it, but on the few occasions that I do, I love it.

Tell us more.

BTW, you don't look rusty or old from here. Are you are red head?

Comment

Thanks Sailor! More to come soon. Would love to see some of your catches. Looking to return to Anna Maria Island this coming year for some backwater fishing.
          quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

awesome pics. I love seeing fishing pics from far away places.

Comment

I have lost more lures to the accidental strike of a hungry steelhead than any other fish....You first know it when you see him jumping out of the water and you hear your real scream...LOL...sigh...

dave
            [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

After your first post I did a little reading on the Erie steelhead. Very interesting. Ohio DNR posted a nice write up, but surely I've only scratched the surface. From what I read, you need to be skilled with the fly rod to get your presentation right. Good on you and your boy.

They showed pix of some of the tiny jig head flies and spoons, as well as a couple of streamers. I was kinda hoping you were a streamer guy...just because.

I think it is so unbelievable to be able to wade right in with fish born "here" 4-5 years ago and have them back "here" right at your feet. Amazing stuff!

We experience a little of that with our striped bass, shad, and herring. But it's not the same as the noble steelhead. Your pix show just how noble a fish they are. Thanks for sharing.

52 huh...you do have a few years to enjoy your new toy. Have fun.
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

I have lost more lures to the accidental strike of a hungry steelhead than any other fish....You first know it when you see him jumping out of the water and you hear your real scream...LOL...sigh...

dave

I read where the "Noodle" rod guys are running 4# flouro leaders and have to let the rod do all the work. No wonder they break you off; 6-8# fish, stiff current, gravel bottom, and Murphey.

Must be a great experience.
                Ole Joe
                Just floundering around
                1978 Mako 25

Comment

Joe this is a typical go to streamer for me. It three inches long. When swinging the rod is very LIGHT it absorbs the shock of the strike and the fight. The sink tip has a a small butt section of 15Lb leader( loop to loop) which then goes down to a 12Lb section

[img][/img]

When using a noodle rod, very light tippet is required so not to spook the fish. For every ten fish hooked, one might get landed. The fish will do everything to break off. Part of the reason I left using the noodle rod was based on the feeling of the strike. Its great to fight a steelhead after seeing a float go down on a noodle rod, but its a whole different game when they are caught tight on a streamer. My goal this year is to use my swing rod to fish for snook in Tampa Bay.

If you like reading, here is great blog site for steelhead: http://www.johnnagysteelheadguide.com/ This guy knows everything about steelhead!
                  quote:

quote:

dave

I read where the "Noodle" rod guys are running 4# flouro leaders and have to let the rod do all the work. No wonder they break you off; 6-8# fish, stiff current, gravel bottom, and Murphey.

Must be a great experience.

Comment

Yes, I have picked up a few that way when I use to troll for Lake Erie Walleye. They are quite the challenge!
                    quote:

dave

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by rustyolddad

Joe this is a typical go to streamer for me. It three inches long. When swinging the rod is very LIGHT it absorbs the shock of the strike and the fight. The sink tip has a a small butt section of 15Lb leader( loop to loop) which then goes down to a 12Lb section

[img][/img]

When using a noodle rod, very light tippet is required so not to spook the fish. For every ten fish hooked, one might get landed. The fish will do everything to break off. Part of the reason I left using the noodle rod was based on the feeling of the strike. Its great to fight a steelhead after seeing a float go down on a noodle rod, but its a whole different game when they are caught tight on a streamer. My goal this year is to use my swing rod to fish for snook in Tampa Bay.

If you like reading, here is great blog site for steelhead: http://www.johnnagysteelheadguide.com/ This guy knows everything about steelhead!

I like your streamer, another adaptation of the good old Clouser. You know, he fished the Susquhana R just North of here. Think that is where he grew up. Like you, he fished for bronze bombers. Is there a hook in front of your stinger or did you snell the drop back?

Watched a video of a steelhead being landed. The angler was using the noodle and it was painful to watch him try to get the fish over a shoal to the bar the net man was on. That light leader left absolutely no room for error.

Read up on your Swtich rod, makes sense to me. I would want to be able to swing a tight line also, feel the strike and react. Can't imagine a lot of satisfaction with the noodle and light leader other then the fact that you succeed using a very light leader. Our little shad hit a tiny marabou clouser type fly on a tight line swing. You'd think he wanted to take your rod away, little stinkers. So cool to be in touch like that.

Thanks, I will definately pay johnnagy a visit.

What river were your fish pix taken on? Beautiful fish, beautiful setting. Looks cold too.
                      Ole Joe
                      Just floundering around
                      1978 Mako 25

Comment

I use the clouser version when I site fish snook in Florida. That pattern works very well. Not added hooks, just the trailing hook as you see. I sometimes use a tube body but mostly loop knot on the tied shank as the one you see here.

The fish in the picture were caught on the conneaut rivver bordering Ohio and PA. Beautiful river with lots of life. That was a very cold day, low teens! I keep having to deice the eyelets on my rod because the line was locking up. Amazing the fish are even active in these cold climates.
                        quote:

quote:

Originally posted by rustyolddad

[img][/img]

I like your streamer, another adaptation of the good old Clouser. You know, he fished the Susquhana R just North of here. Think that is where he grew up. Like you, he fished for bronze bombers. Is there a hook in front of your stinger or did you snell the drop back?

Watched a video of a steelhead being landed. The angler was using the noodle and it was painful to watch him try to get the fish over a shoal to the bar the net man was on. That light leader left absolutely no room for error.

Read up on your Swtich rod, makes sense to me. I would want to be able to swing a tight line also, feel the strike and react. Can't imagine a lot of satisfaction with the noodle and light leader other then the fact that you succeed using a very light leader. Our little shad hit a tiny marabou clouser type fly on a tight line swing. You'd think he wanted to take your rod away, little stinkers. So cool to be in touch like that.

Thanks, I will definately pay johnnagy a visit.

What river were your fish pix taken on? Beautiful fish, beautiful setting. Looks cold too.

Comment

Thanks! I have never seen the trailing hook tied from the shank before...nice clean streamer. Should be fishy.

Visited johnnagy...You guys can stay busy all winter if you can take the temps. Neat fishery.

The NY, PA, and OH shore of Erie must be pretty. Being on the West side of the Appalachians, I picture it same as the topo on the East side.

Good stuff.
                          Ole Joe
                          Just floundering around
                          1978 Mako 25

Comment

I was in Conneuat last weekend. Bite wasnt great but hooked into them. Triple crown, hisnbrither and myself. TC and his brother were fishing egg sacs and I was mainly on the flyrod but did hook several with egg sacs.
                            1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Conneuat is a great fishery off Lake erie. Most fish are caught this time of year with fresh spawn sacs or throwing large streamer flies for spawned out fish. Those are some angry fish! Hope you hooked a whale!
                              quote:

Originally posted by brando

I was in Conneuat last weekend. Bite wasnt great but hooked into them. Triple crown, hisnbrither and myself. TC and his brother were fishing egg sacs and I was mainly on the flyrod but did hook several with egg sacs.

Comment

Working...
                              X