boat ramp safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boat ramp safety

witnessed an accident at a boat ramp this weekend. a guy was launching a 20 something foot bay boat in the launch next to the one we were using. he backed the boat and trailer down and as I was walking down the finger pier 6 ft away he climbed onto the back bumper of the truck to unhook the boat. he slipped and the back of his left thigh landed on the tongue of the trailer, right on top of the tongue jack mounting brackets then he landed on his back in the water. My friend Hugh and I picked him up out of the water, helped him back to his truck, offered to call someone for him but he refused and strongly encouraged him to seek medical attention. he could not put any weight on his left leg.

it's amazing how quickly things can go south, especially if you are by yourself when the "stuff hits the fan". this very likely could have gone much worse if he had hit his head and no one had been there to help. he might have drown in 18" of water!

y'all be careful out there!
    76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

I quit doing that trying to keep my feet dry many years ago. Just not worth the potential danger as this guy found out. Glad it wasn't worse but at least you were there to help.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

good point...and lets face it were not as young as we used to be...d
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Thanks for your concern, timing is everything.

I concur eith sailor, wet feet beat gashes in body or worse,

Drowning. Safety before pleasure.

BWP
        [br]Starcraft Bluewater 180, 1988[br]1996 Mercury 115 2+2 exlpto[br]Project Link: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46572

Comment

I had a close call on my trailer one time. After that, I covered it in 3M 'sand paper' on the front of the trailer. Looks kinda cheesy but there aren't any slippery spots when loading.
          1986 Mako 224 , 06 Optimax 225[br]Gilbert, AZ[br]

Comment

reminds me of an accident triplecrown had a summer or two ago. not his fault the dock was neglected and his crew was late
            1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by brando

reminds me of an accident triplecrown had a summer or two ago. not his fault the dock was neglected and his crew was late

Don't believe I've heard this tale?
              76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ssfishx

quote:

It was Christmas break a little over a year ago. It was zero dark thirty and I was in line to launch with many other boats to go tuna fishing. I had my dad (who is not able to help), two of the mules were to be there but were running late. I had to launch and did without incident. With all the boats launching there was no where to get out of the way and wait on the mules. I decided to dock off to the side, it was an old unmaintained CEMENT dock.

I got TC side to the wind and let it just blow me to the dock. When I got right there I jumped off onto the dock so I could turn around grab the boat and keep her square, not banging up the boat. Trouble was there was a square hole in the dock lined with angle iron that I did not see. My left leg went into the hole and I smashed the hell out of my knee cap on the angle iron.

Many months of pain followed. [] I still have to be very careful in setting my knee down (like doing tile) or bending it too much.

Over one year later, I have a huge knot that has formed trying to repair the knee cap, I am sure it was fractured.
                David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Triplecrownnc

quote:

Originally posted by ssfishx

quote:

It was Christmas break a little over a year ago. It was zero dark thirty and I was in line to launch with many other boats to go tuna fishing. I had my dad (who is not able to help), two of the mules were to be there but were running late. I had to launch and did without incident. With all the boats launching there was no where to get out of the way and wait on the mules. I decided to dock off to the side, it was an old unmaintained CEMENT dock.

I got TC side to the wind and let it just blow me to the dock. When I got right there I jumped off onto the dock so I could turn around grab the boat and keep her square, not banging up the boat. Trouble was there was a square hole in the dock lined with angle iron that I did not see. My left leg went into the hole and I smashed the hell out of my knee cap on the angle iron.

Many months of pain followed. [] I still have to be very careful in setting my knee down (like doing tile) or bending it too much.

Over one year later, I have a huge knot that has formed trying to repair the knee cap, I am sure it was fractured.

Ouch!, just reading that makes my knee ache! or maybe that's this crazy weather....[]

just more proof the boat ramp can be a dangerous place. I have watched people do some crazy/stupid things while loading and unloading boats.

one "keystone cops" style incident comes to mind[]

there is a storm moving in and the wind was blowing 30 mph out of the east, the boat ramp is north south and all of the piers are full on their east sides. "mr searay" pulls up on west side of farthest pier with 27ft searay and jumps out of boat to go get truck/trailer, leaving "mrs" to hold the boat. things go south before he even gets to the end of the pier."mrs" cant hold the boat and has a decision to make, let go or go swimming. she wisely chooses to let go. the wind blows the searay towards a 19ft proline bobbing against the next pier over. the proline is being held by a 12 yr old while his dad is backing in the trailer. the searay swings around so the stern is pointed towards the proline. about this time mr searay runs onto the dock to the proline, jumps in and grabs his boat by the swim platform, keeping it from impaling the proline. did i mention there was lots of cursing that was taking place?

During all of this proline dad has jumped out of his truck and joins mr searay in his boat to help fend off the still encroaching searay. after they have control, they exchange "pleasantries" as mr searay boards his boat and proceeds to back out into the harbor and wait his turn like he should have to begin with.

Comment

Not my boat (Mine is a Mako 22) but a 20 Shamrock.

Poor guy disconnected both the winch line and the safety chain. Then he tapped the brakes while backing down the ramp.

Tide was going out, about a 7 footer, so he spent all day sitting on the tail gate waiting for water.

Comment

A good thing to do if you must keep your feet dry, add adhesive traction to your trailer and bumper; like sandpaper.

I have that on my trailer. I also usually just count on getting me shoes wet but sometimes the ramp surface is even worse , covered in the green algae.

Glad you were there to help the guy.
                      1986 Mako 224 , 06 Optimax 225[br]Gilbert, AZ[br]

Comment

I have to say, I have taken to using chest waders when putting in and taking out my Mako15 from the water. Get some funny looks, but I don't care. So much easier to get the boat to the floating dock, correct any issues as the boat comes off the trailer, and my feet stay dry!javascript:insertsmilie('[]')
                        Mark Kriz[br]Mako15 1974[br]Mercury Thunderbolt 800 1972[br]Maple Valley, WA[br][br]

Comment

If launching solo or with rookies, I slack off on the winch a half inch so it will float without binding, leaving the safety chain on, but disconnecting the bow turnbuckle, then back down, stop, then get on the boat. Otherwise, I will have my wife or sons back down with the same setup described above but with me in the boat. No reason to take chances.
                          [br]Mako 241[br]Winter Garden, FL

Comment

If launching solo or with rookies, I slack off on the winch a half inch so it will float without binding, leaving the safety chain on, but disconnecting the bow turnbuckle, then back down, stop, then get on the boat. Otherwise, I will have my wife or sons back down with the same setup described above but with me in the boat. No reason to take chances.
                            [br]Mako 241[br]Winter Garden, FL

Comment

Working...
                            X