Towing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing!

Talk about a close call that would have wiped out about 18 months of work....I'm guilty! Was moving my '79 Mako 21' from my home to the Hatteras area, a trip of just over 130 miles. I haven't towed much but made sure the trailer was in good condition, lights working, and the Suburban was ready for the work. Left at 3 AM so as not to deal with traffic and it was an uneventful trip....until.

About five (5) miles from my destination I decided to swing into an empty Food Lion parking lot and get some supplies. Swung around the lot and around a light stanchion...and in my side mirror I saw the driver side wheels on the trailer MISS THE POST by about a foot! One damn foot because I wasn't paying full attention. I mean the lot was EMPTY.

One foot and I would have smashed the tandem wheels on drivers side, dropped the boat and been totally pissed! So....by the grace of God...just never let up when you are towing. Never!

Close call for sure. I'm glad it was only a "near miss".

I have an aftermarket system installed in my truck to try to avoid exactly that sort of situation. It detects any moving or stationary objects within a safe perimeter while I'm driving forward, backing up, or sitting still. It gives visual indicators as well as multiple loud and abrupt audio warnings. It also provides feed back on drifting into adjacent lanes, monitors my speed, regularly prompts me to check my available fuel level, and even anticipates low overpasses. It has been a fairly expensive one to maintain, but I got the one with an option to extend the monitored zone to cover the trailer as well.

Typically, it rides in the passenger seat painting its toenails.
    “On the days where I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.”

M20 project-Finally Splashed!
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...r-bottom-paint
    Gallery
    https://forum.classicmako.com/member...kgfisher/media

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kgfisher

I have an aftermarket system installed in my truck to try to avoid exactly that sort of situation. It detects any moving or stationary objects within a safe perimeter while I'm driving forward, backing up, or sitting still. It gives visual indicators as well as multiple loud and abrupt audio warnings. It also provides feed back on drifting into adjacent lanes, monitors my speed, regularly prompts me to check my available fuel level, and even anticipates low overpasses. It has been a fairly expensive one to maintain, but I got the one with an option to extend the monitored zone to cover the trailer as well.

I fell for this one hook line and sinker.....LOL best laugh I have had all day and its so true for me also....[)][)][)]
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

quote:

I have an aftermarket system installed in my truck to try to avoid exactly that sort of situation. It detects any moving or stationary objects within a safe perimeter while I'm driving forward, backing up, or sitting still. It gives visual indicators as well as multiple loud and abrupt audio warnings. It also provides feed back on drifting into adjacent lanes, monitors my speed, regularly prompts me to check my available fuel level, and even anticipating low overpasses. It has been a fairly expensive one to maintain, but I got the one with an option to extend the monitored zone to cover the trailer as well.

I have had one of those for a couple of decades....but this was a trip I was making alone... Tuna the dog was with me.....but he doesn't do nearly as well. Great nails though! From here on you can bet I will be doing double checks when making turns,

Comment

Hi, I drive commercially, never let your guard down!

Bump the clutch-check the mirrors-automatic.

Pretend something will happen, and prepare for it.

God bless BWP
          [br]Starcraft Bluewater 180, 1988[br]1996 Mercury 115 2+2 exlpto[br]Project Link: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46572

Comment

Close calls are a real blessing teaching a lesson without any damage. Glad you made out all right...Charlie
            Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ[br]

Comment

When I am pulling a trailer, especially a dual axle, I just automatically slow down. The only time I will get up to speed is on a straight away on the highway. I think I just emulating the big rigs and they are always moving slow. Glad there was no damage.
              72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

Appreciate the comments! Just glad my stupid move didn't leave me with a pile of rubble to clean up. A lesson well learned!

Comment

Often after a long stressful trip our minds and bodies seem to drop their guards when close to the final destination. After a long sales trip when driving a few miles from my house I turn off the music and turn the window down for some fresh air and re-focus on the task at hand.
                  John[br]Gloucester, MA[br]1993 Mako 221B. [br]http://tinyurl.com/pyynux8

Comment

quote:

Too funny
                    1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Working...
                    X