Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a 1989 Mako 236 Inboard-Potent.__Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a 1989 Mako 236 Inboard-Potent.__Issues?

Hi All.

I am planning on buying a used 1989 Mako 236 , inboard, Mercruiser , 260hp salt-water cooled, engine. The Merc Engine only has about 220 hrs on it.

This Mako is from 1989...

I have been told that I must be very careful about what has happened to the Inboard engine over this time . ( Poss over heating due to old salt water cooling system ) Engine Ran well ( fine-per my relative) as of about 1.5 years ago. Last time used. It has been stored and maintained by the yard.

The current owner says he (a relative) has never changed the manifold risers/elbows.

I had the marina check out this Mercruiser V8 engine and they say that they found salt water inside the engine/manifold. I had a compression test done, and shows that one cylinder is leaking.

I got a quote from the marina in Maine to replace both sides, of the manifold risers, and to put a new gasket on the one leaking cylinder.

The total estimate to do this work is about $3500.00

Wondering if this is worth doing and if the est. cost for this work is considered reasonable or not?

It is in pretty good shape I think, otherwise.

What do you think this boat would sell for on the used market?

Please let me know your thoughts. ?? See specs below.

Thanks very much for your help!

1989 24#8242; Mako

Inboard 350 ci Scorpion engine w/229 hrs

Hard T-Top with aluminum framing

Canvas Bimini

Standard Horizon GPS

Furuno Radar

Apelco Fishfinder/Sounder

VHF Radio

Battery On/Off Switch

Blower

Trim Tabs

Bilge Pump (manual/auto)

Cetol Woodwork/Trim

2- 60 gal Fuel Tanks (120 gal capacity)

Stored inside and professionally maintained yearly

Welcome to CM. I'm not an inboard guy but that sounds like a lot of money to spend IMO.

I would re-post in the discussion forum so you can get more views on your question. Good luck - sounds like a nice boat and would love to see pics.
    quote:

Originally posted by watermargi

Hi All.

I am planning on buying a used 1989 Mako 236 , inboard, Mercruiser , 260hp salt-water cooled, engine. The Merc Engine only has about 220 hrs on it.

This Mako is from 1989...

I have been told that I must be very careful about what has happened to the Inboard engine over this time . ( Poss over heating due to old salt water cooling system ) Engine Ran well ( fine-per my relative) as of about 1.5 years ago. Last time used. It has been stored and maintained by the yard.

The current owner says he (a relative) has never changed the manifold risers/elbows.

I had the marina check out this Mercruiser V8 engine and they say that they found salt water inside the engine/manifold. I had a compression test done, and shows that one cylinder is leaking.

I got a quote from the marina in Maine to replace both sides, of the manifold risers, and to put a new gasket on the one leaking cylinder.

The total estimate to do this work is about $3500.00

Wondering if this is worth doing and if the est. cost for this work is considered reasonable or not?

It is in pretty good shape I think, otherwise.

What do you think this boat would sell for on the used market?

Please let me know your thoughts. ?? See specs below.

Thanks very much for your help!

1989 24#8242; Mako

Inboard 350 ci Scorpion engine w/229 hrs

Hard T-Top with aluminum framing

Canvas Bimini

Standard Horizon GPS

Furuno Radar

Apelco Fishfinder/Sounder

VHF Radio

Battery On/Off Switch

Blower

Trim Tabs

Bilge Pump (manual/auto)

Cetol Woodwork/Trim

2- 60 gal Fuel Tanks (120 gal capacity)

Stored inside and professionally maintained yearly

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply!

I have now added the post ( modified) about this Mako 236 Inboard, to the discussion forum, as recommended.

Not sure if the local yard in Me. is doing both the Manifold risers and the elbows too. Don't really know what these parts look like or their cost? Would the cost be higher for both parts, installed?

Wondering if you think that this is difficult to do?

I am not an engine mechanic....

But if it is just about unbolting and rebolting these parts, Wss thinking maybe I could attempt it?

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi.

Just wondering. How do I post photos of the boat I refer to, in this email?

It does not appear possible.

I cannot copy and paste photos in the email.

Any ideas?

Thx.

Comment

Working...
        X