1981 Mako deep V 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Mako deep V 25

Hello everyone. My husband and I purchased a 1981 Mako Deep V 25 at a garage sale. We have cleaned her up and taken her out twice. We have a couple of questions we are hoping someone can help with.

We are wondering if there is a owners manual that we could get. The lady we bought the boat from husband died and she did not have the manual. Also, there is two gas fill location on the left side and one on the council. We are wondering if this was custom or the way the boat originally came. Did it originally have a 2 stroke oil tank? I contacted Mako and they referred me to this site.

Thank you,

Tami

Wow! True garage find! Welcome. Here is a link that might help for the owners manual. http://www.classicmako.com/manuals/mako25/25manual1.htm

I have a 1979 mako 25. I have a single tank. I have seen two tanks, but never three. There are many knowledgeable people on the site who are glad to help, so keep checking back. Given the year, I am pretty sure you had a two stroke oil tank mounted someplace. Mine is under the console.

Please post some pictures of your boat and welcome! You can use services like IMGUR to get your photos online.
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

Wow! True garage find! Welcome. Here is a link that might help for the owners manual. http://www.classicmako.com/manuals/mako25/25manual1.htm

I have a 1979 mako 25. I have a single tank. I have seen two tanks, but never three. There are many knowledgeable people on the site who are glad to help, so keep checking back. Given the year, I am pretty sure you had a two stroke oil tank mounted someplace. Mine is under the console.

Please post some pictures of your boat and welcome! You can use services like IMGUR to get your photos online.
      1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

welcome.

I have an 81 25 and in my opinion an owners manual would be useless close to 40 years later. Boats are mostly customized. Some 25s did have 2 fuel tanks, i know I have a single. When I purchased mine I did have a 2 stroke oil tank under my console and someone fitted in a fuel fill hose to the tank, so i could pour it into the console. peak your head in and see if you can see where the fill hose goes to.

What type of engine is on it?
        Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

welcome.

I have an 81 25 and in my opinion an owners manual would be useless close to 40 years later. Boats are mostly customized. Some 25s did have 2 fuel tanks, i know I have a single. When I purchased mine I did have a 2 stroke oil tank under my console and someone fitted in a fuel fill hose to the tank, so i could pour it into the console. peak your head in and see if you can see where the fill hose goes to.

Comment

welcome.

Comment

welcome.

Comment

Tami,

I have a 1978 model 25 which is the same hull as your 81. In 78 an option 34 gallon tank was offered and is mounted in front of the standard 86 gallon tank. The port side fill and vent tubes are factory. Front fill = front tank, rear = rear.

The specs for your 81 indicate fuel capacity of 151 gal. https://www.makoboats.com/past-model...tBoatYear=1981

Again, these are the same hulls and I assume Mako offered the 81 with two tanks standard. If so, the port side fills and vents are probably the same, front=front, rear=rear,

The fill mounted on the console may feed one of the tanks. Inspect it from under the console and see where it leads. The previous owner may have installed it if one of the port side fills (or vents) was leaking. You should engage a marine mechanic to look at it with you if you are unsure of the correct methods and materials to use for fuel systems. You don't want fuel or fumes accumulating under the console or in the bilge.

Mako used an aluminum tube(s) where the fill and vent lines turn to go under the deck at the base of the gunnel. The aluminum tube(s) deteriorate in time and leak. A lot of owners are unaware of the deterioration, and when they become aware, are reluctant to replace the tubes because of the fiberglass repairs required.

I believe both "Sailor" and "ssfishx" have replaced theirs' and have photos on their threads. I have some photos on file if you need additional.

Hope this helps.
                Ole Joe
                Just floundering around
                White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                1978 Mako 25

Comment

You have already been told exactly what I would have said so I'll just say...WELCOME TO CM! []

You can use Google to search the web site as the search function is currently down at best description. Here is a link to searching.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=52507

There is a ton of information contained here but it take some digging to get at it on your own. Always ask questions and congrats and welcome to the 25 club. [8D]
                  1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL
                  http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

It came with a 2017 Suzuki 250 with only 25 hours on it.
                    quote:

Originally posted by muzzy1127

welcome.

Comment

Wow, Thank you, everyone, for your input. We do smell gas and my husband has decided that we are going to replace the fuel tanks. There does seem to be a leak. We have taken the boat out three times for short runs. That being said we are getting excited to start repairs and getting it into shape for this next season. Now that we have the boat we realize what a great boat it is.
                      quote:

Originally posted by flounder

Tami,

I have a 1978 model 25 which is the same hull as your 81. In 78 an option 34 gallon tank was offered and is mounted in front of the standard 86 gallon tank. The port side fill and vent tubes are factory. Front fill = front tank, rear = rear.

The specs for your 81 indicate fuel capacity of 151 gal. https://www.makoboats.com/past-model...tBoatYear=1981

Again, these are the same hulls and I assume Mako offered the 81 with two tanks standard. If so, the port side fills and vents are probably the same, front=front, rear=rear,

The fill mounted on the console may feed one of the tanks. Inspect it from under the console and see where it leads. The previous owner may have installed it if one of the port side fills (or vents) was leaking. You should engage a marine mechanic to look at it with you if you are unsure of the correct methods and materials to use for fuel systems. You don't want fuel or fumes accumulating under the console or in the bilge.

Mako used an aluminum tube(s) where the fill and vent lines turn to go under the deck at the base of the gunnel. The aluminum tube(s) deteriorate in time and leak. A lot of owners are unaware of the deterioration, and when they become aware, are reluctant to replace the tubes because of the fiberglass repairs required.

I believe both "Sailor" and "ssfishx" have replaced theirs' and have photos on their threads. I have some photos on file if you need additional.

Hope this helps.

Comment

How do you plan on using your boat? If you are not running real far offshore I would pull both tanks and replace with one tank. Both of mine were removed and I have a single 125 gallon tank - might be more fuel then you need depending on how you will use it. I single 85 gallon might be more then sufficient but I wouldn't go too small in case you decide to sell at some point in the future.
                        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                        1985 Mako 20c - sold
                        Fort Walton Beach, FL
                        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
                        X