New Member - 1972 Mako 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member - 1972 Mako 17

Here goes nothing. I hope this isn't too long of a book for y'all to read. After catching the fever a few years ago for saltwater i've finally acquired a good (hopefully) starter boat. Ended up trading a guy my 14' aluminum jon with Yamaha 15 for this 1972 17 with a old Johnson 115.

I researched all I could before i went to look at it but I will say I'm woefully lacking on glass boat knowledge. According to the guy i picked it up from he just didn't enjoy it like he thought he would and wanted a good duck boat. He said he bought it from the original owner's son who said his father bought it new and only used it a dozen or so times. Was supposedly garage kept between trips. The boat is a little dirty but that's too be expected. I got under the boat and saw no gouges, cracks or waves to indicate any glass work. No blisters on the bottom or the sides of the hull. Moving back to the transom, the motor mount bolts don't appear to be sunk in any and tapping everywhere with the handle of my knife produced a very solid, sharp sound. Up top there are a few what I hope are just stress cracks in the gelcoat.

Most of the screw holes around rod holders and other things have small 1" or less cracks. The only ones that really concern me are where the transom meets the gunwale (correct term?) in the back corners of the boat.

I bounced the motor some and picked up on it best I could and the transom didn't seem to move any so I hope I'm lucky. The deck itself seems pretty solid except for up on the casting deck. I've read these old Mako's have thin decks up there and are prone to delamination? There are a few small cracks around the base of the console but being as the deck feels solid I believe those are just non structural stress cracks from age.

I also didn't note any smell of fuel from the hatches so hopefully my tank is still ok. All that to say I look forward to tending to these cracks over the winter and repainting the old girl. I'll be asking lots of questions and I appreciate yalls help in advance!

the 17 is a great boat. well ahead of its time. very seaworthy. get that motor running and you will have a nice rig!
    Matt221[br]\'89 Mako 221 w/ Zuke 250[br]\'77 Mako 17\' Angler (under construction)[br]Auburn,AL[br]

Comment

Thanks man! Yeah, the more I look it over the more i'm loving it. Do you have any input on the cracking on the boat? This is a new world for me.
      quote:

Originally posted by Matt221

the 17 is a great boat. well ahead of its time. very seaworthy. get that motor running and you will have a nice rig!

Comment

its common to have stress cracks in the top cap. there are plenty of postings on here where folks grind them out and repair and re-gel or paint. its just a cosmetic issue though. the main thing to be concerned about would be the transom and tank. it sound like your transom is good. as to the tank, you say no smell, but unless its been replaced at some point b4 you bought it, i would be concerned. that's a 46 yr old tank sitting in there!
        Matt221[br]\'89 Mako 221 w/ Zuke 250[br]\'77 Mako 17\' Angler (under construction)[br]Auburn,AL[br]

Comment

Thats what I was hoping to hear. I've been lurking on here for a while reading up on everything I could find about these boats. Guess I need to start a project post now! I got out and sprayed everything down with bleach/simple green/dawn super mixture and pressure washed her. Other than a little of the deck paint coming off and revealing the dooky brown original paint she turned out pretty good. Thanks for the input, i'll be looking for some more answers regarding fixing these cracks and repainting soon.
          quote:

Originally posted by Matt221

its common to have stress cracks in the top cap. there are plenty of postings on here where folks grind them out and repair and re-gel or paint. its just a cosmetic issue though. the main thing to be concerned about would be the transom and tank. it sound like your transom is good. as to the tank, you say no smell, but unless its been replaced at some point b4 you bought it, i would be concerned. that's a 46 yr old tank sitting in there!

Comment

Working...
          X