Mako 171 newby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 171 newby

Im a sailor/boatbuilder with minimal power boat experience. Im helping a friend with her Mako 171 with a mariner 150 Outboard . I installed a new fuel gauge and sender unit for her and rewired the bilge pumps so they work. Now Im trying to figure out how to run This boat without getting soaked all the time. As I said I am not used to power boats but the bow seems to ride awfully high. I dont know if this is normal or not. I have the trim tab set so the motor is all the way downforward. It just does not seem like a comfortable ride but maybe bits because Im used to sailing and happy when I can reach speeds up to 7 kn per hour. Also, Is there a way to rev the engine for hire is there a way to rev the engine for higher rpm without putting it into gear? Any advice is appreciated Have fun

The boat is overpowered and has too much weight in the stern which is why it's riding bow high. I bet once you got it going about 30-40 mph it would lay that bow down. [8D] With a 150 you should be able to outrun any spray that comes off the hull in any condition except a gale force in a broad reach.

Does the boat have trim tabs? They would really help keep the bow down with that big motor (most are rigged with 90's, 115's or the older 140 v4's). You can also move the battery, oil tank, and whatever else under the console to shift some weight forward. An easy addition would be "transom wedges" which allow the motor to be trimmed down for a greater negative trim and push the bow down. Not the most efficient but very effective.

The 17 is a great boat, sounds like you just need to get it dialed in.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks for the info. I dont know if it has trim tabs...Ill have to check. It would be nice to be able to go at slower speeds without getting soaked. Maybe trade for a smaller engine. But its not mine, belongs to a family friend. Its being used on the coast of Maine so getti g wet isnt very pleasant.

Comment

Okay weird. Very similar name to me, and I am helping a friend with a 17 angler..... They also have a 150 Mercury on it.

Boat is overpowered and is a wet boat. Trim tabs will help.

Build sailboats?
        \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

quote:

[i]

Build sailboats?

Singular..built my 32 cutter

https://towndock.net/shippingnews

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...0216B96BCC.jpg

Comment

Beautiful sailboat.

For the 17, it is a wet ride. As long as the trim is all the way down and you floor it you should be able to get the bow down.

It is stern heavy due to the engine. Try putting some weight forward to help out if you are able to.
            \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Working...
            X