Avoiding newbe mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding newbe mistakes

I just bought a 1885 Mako 238 cuddy with a '96 200hp Mercury outboard. We're doing some black fishing on Long Island Sound off of New Haven, CT. I have been a sailor for 20 years, so i know the waters and boating in general, but I'm new to this boat and new to outboard motor boating on saltwater.

Any suggested actions or reading for me, or just plain - '...hey don't make this mistake: ..."

Thank you!

Welcome to Classicmako! Just remember "slow like a pro" wins over every time, or "when in doubt, through the anchor out". [8D]

1) make sure the plug is in at all times.

2) Make sure there is enough beer on board for all persons.

3) in regards to #2, make sure you have plenty of ice

4) Don't be afraid to ask any questions here. I guarantee they have been asked before

5) have fun!

Do you trailer or wet slip? The in-floor livewell will probably be the biggest thing to figure out, and not telling how it's plumbed, but basically you regulate the amount of water in vs. the amount of water out to get the optimum level. A standpipe is a great addition if you don't have an upper drain, and you can make one for probably $1.

The search function doesn't work on the site, which is pending a forum software upgrade, so you can use google to search the website.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=52507
    quote:

Originally posted by pub911

I just bought a 1885 Mako 238 cuddy with a '96 200hp Mercury outboard. We're doing some black fishing on Long Island Sound off of New Haven, CT. I have been a sailor for 20 years, so i know the waters and boating in general, but I'm new to this boat and new to outboard motor boating on saltwater.

Any suggested actions or reading for me, or just plain - '...hey don't make this mistake: ..."

Thank you!

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I have a 1984 228 cuddy. If you figure out how to anchor off the bow, please let me know.

My auto-anchor system (the wife) doesn't fit through the hatch, nor do I.

I've been anchoring off the forward gunnel cleat (like in photo below) as we're both too old to climb over the window.
      1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Holgatelbi

I have a 1984 228 cuddy. If you figure out how to anchor off the bow, please let me know.

I've been anchoring off the forward gunnel cleat (like in photo below) as we're both too old to climb over the window.

Throw the anchor over the side, walk the rope around the cabin and up to the bow before she comes tight and tie it off. What you are doing is fine in calm water but I would not do that in much of a sea
        David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Holgatelbi

Throw the anchor over the side, walk the rope around the cabin and up to the bow before she comes tight and tie it off. What you are doing is fine in calm water but I would not do that in much of a sea
          David, New Kent, Va[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by pub911

Thank you!

Have a type 4 throwable right next to you at all times. Pre fit the life jackets to the crew members before you leave the dock. Be sure you have a reliable whistle nearby if you need to hail someone and lastly, double check your bilge pumps and lights before you leave.
            David, New Kent, Va[br]

Comment

Working...
            X