Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member "Island Bound" Mako 17'

Just wanted to check in with the forum.

I have a 1969 17' Mako that I use as my daily commuter. This hull, although on the old side, is excellent for my application. At the moment we are running a late 1980's Yamaha 70 2 stroke spinning a Yamaha factory stainless 19" pitch wheel. The outboard is very strong and has low fresh water hours. Top speed @ 5,250+ rpm is an honest 32 mph. We have seen 33 mph with 2 people although the tide may have been helping us.

Living on an Island requires that the 17' Mako serve as our waterborn pickup truck. In the last month we have moved 800' of Fir decking , one refrigerator, a washing machine luggage and groceries. Bottom line.... Love this boat.

Over the winter my wife and I spent over 200 hours restoring the hull. When I figure out how to upload pictures I will go step by step on gellcoat or 2 part paint restoration.

The next upgrade will be more power. Although I am very impressed with the performance with the 70 hp Yamaha. Looking at a Yamaha 130 2 stroke or a Yamaha 150 2 stroke both from the mid 1990's.

Thanks for letting me onboard.

Island Bound

Calm waters and safe harbors.....
    Isle of Springs, Maine[br]Past Boats;[br]1931 Chris Craft 18\' custom runabout Chrysler 318\" V8. 1974 Donzi 21\' GT 500 hp 454\" big block. 1991 Crowley 28\' lobster Yacht 380 hp Isuzu. 1990 Boston Whaler 15\' [br]Yamaha C85 hp.[br]Present Boat;[br]1969 Mako 17\' Yamaha Pro V 150 2 stroke.

Welcome to CM! Where are you located? You need to host your pictures (NOT photosucket) then post the IMG code in your post. Those 70hp yamahas are some of the best motors ever made IMO.
    quote:

Originally posted by Island Bound

Just wanted to check in with the forum.

I have a 1969 17' Mako that I use as my daily commuter. This hull, although on the old side, is excellent for my application. At the moment we are running a late 1980's Yamaha 70 2 stroke spinning a Yamaha factory stainless 19" pitch wheel. The outboard is very strong and has low fresh water hours. Top speed @ 5,250+ rpm is an honest 32 mph. We have seen 33 mph with 2 people although the tide may have been helping us.

Living on an Island requires that the 17' Mako serve as our waterborn pickup truck. In the last month we have moved 800' of Fir decking , one refrigerator, a washing machine luggage and groceries. Bottom line.... Love this boat.

Over the winter my wife and I spent over 200 hours restoring the hull. When I figure out how to upload pictures I will go step by step on gellcoat or 2 part paint restoration.

The next upgrade will be more power. Although I am very impressed with the performance with the 70 hp Yamaha. Looking at a Yamaha 130 2 stroke or a Yamaha 150 2 stroke both from the mid 1990's.

Thanks for letting me onboard.

Island Bound

Calm waters and safe harbors.....

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

We are located at the Isle of Springs, Maine Sheepscot River. Not far from Boothbay Harbor
      Isle of Springs, Maine[br]Past Boats;[br]1931 Chris Craft 18\' custom runabout Chrysler 318\" V8. 1974 Donzi 21\' GT 500 hp 454\" big block. 1991 Crowley 28\' lobster Yacht 380 hp Isuzu. 1990 Boston Whaler 15\' [br]Yamaha C85 hp.[br]Present Boat;[br]1969 Mako 17\' Yamaha Pro V 150 2 stroke.

Comment

Working...
      X