New Guy with and Older Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy with and Older Mako

Well the stars aligned (maybe) and as of today I am the proud owner (so far... haven't started into it yet) of a 1986 Mako 20c with a 2001 150 Yamaha ox66. Was actually very surprised at how the boat handle some pretty heavy wakes on the sea-trial. And to get the boat, engine, and aluminum trailer for under $5000 - I felt pretty good about it.

I was amazing at how well built and solid this boat was compared to the Grady's and other's I was shopping for in the area at the same price point. Now granted, I bought it knowing she's not pretty and knowing i'm going to need to fix this and that. But isn't that half the fun? I do see a new leaning post and T-top in my future though. First, the standard mechanical CYA (water pump, plugs, wires, filters, anodes and such) because i've never been one to trust someone who says "Oh yah, i just did that all a few months ago. A "few" leaves too much to interpretation.

I'm not new to boats in general but this is my first Mako, my first CC, and my first Yamaha engine. So I'll apologize in advance for and stupid questions I may ask!

Spent some time on you-tube today learning as much as I can about the engine - and lurked around here learning information as well.

I look forward to helping where I can, and thank you all in advance for the help you'll give me!

Here is a picture - we'll go ahead and call it the "before" for now. I'll get some more as the rain and time allows!

Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard. Unfortunately, the site (along with many others) is experiencing difficulty with pictures due to photobucket's greed. There are brilliant minds behind the curtains resolve the issues surrounding historic threads, but in the meantime, you'll have to try imgur or one of the other hosting sites. Looking forward to seeing your find.
    Dave [br]Woodbury Heights, NJ[br]\'73 Mako 20[br]\'85 Mako 254[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55336[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52586

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Kings Pointer

Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard. Unfortunately, the site (along with many others) is experiencing difficulty with pictures due to photobucket's greed. There are brilliant minds behind the curtains resolve the issues surrounding historic threads, but in the meantime, you'll have to try imgur or one of the other hosting sites. Looking forward to seeing your find.

I've seen the "you have to upgrade" photobucket issue come up on another site. So maybe it's time to switch anyway. Pics coming soon!

I did the first "cleaning" last night which was basically just a brush and some non-skid deck cleaner. Already made a huge difference. Can't wait to get some compound/polish/wax onto the D/A polisher and shine the hull..

See if this picture works!

Comment

Good looking 20c! I would add some forward keel bunks to your trailer so you don't have to ram the forward v bunk when loading.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Good looking 20c! I would add some forward keel bunks to your trailer so you don't have to ram the forward v bunk when loading.

I was getting a new trailer anyway - that trailer was all wrong and neeeed work. After weighing the options I went with the rocket 22. Amazing improvement. Didn't do the front bunks - but talked to the guy and he said we would do as an upgrade later if I decided to.

As it was - the hull got a good cleaning. But a wet sand/compound and polish are in the future

New trailer

Comment

Working...
          X