Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello , I am new to this forum. and am very impressed with the wealth of knowledge.I am looking to buy 1987 261. It is on a trailer, has been used up till about a year age. motors seem solid, @ 400 hours, twin Evinrude, fitch ram I think 03. The transom seems solid, as do the stringers. The boat is filthy but I can clean it. Is there anything, in particular, to look at, I will be getting it surveyed next week if all seems good at my next visit. I know the fuel tank is original, but the floor is very solid no movement underfoot and I'm a big guy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JST42LN

Welcome aboard!![]

I have a 2003 200hp Ficht as well. So far I have been ok with it but keeping my fingers crossed.
    Brian[br]1992 Mako 221[br]1987 Bayliner 17 (sold)[br]1963 Elgin (sold)[br]Pasadena,MD[br][email protected][br]I am a PROUD DEPLORABLE[br]\"Make America Great Again\"[br]

Comment

Welcome to CM! That is a great boat, just look for water intrusion in the transom. A surveyor can find it out with his mallet. Check stringers near the transom as well. As for the motors, that is your biggest bargaining chip as FICHT's are desired as much as a visit by the grim reaper [] and pretty much worthless for any type of resale value and these may be the last remaining running pair! Basically you should only be paying for the value of the hull, trailer and any electronics (if they are less then a couple years old, otherwise they are outdated as well and no value).

Check the front deck for softness as well. Look underneath the deck or gunnels for any dark areas in the glass where you have anything installed. That will tell you if there is any water intrusion and wet core.

Surveyors will give you a warm fuzzy but don't catch everything and if you buy a lemon their only re-course is to refund the cost of the survey. If you have pictures, post some up and we can tell you some more specifics to look for. Good luck!
      quote:

Originally posted by jst42ln

Hello , I am new to this forum. and am very impressed with the wealth of knowledge.I am looking to buy 1987 261. It is on a trailer, has been used up till about a year age. motors seem solid, @ 400 hours, twin Evinrude, fitch ram I think 03. The transom seems solid, as do the stringers. The boat is filthy but I can clean it. Is there anything, in particular, to look at, I will be getting it surveyed next week if all seems good at my next visit. I know the fuel tank is original, but the floor is very solid no movement underfoot and I'm a big guy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JST42LN

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, and the info on what and where to look.

If I do buy this one, I will be asking a lot of questions.

The boat is equipped with a hard top, outriggers, downriggers,

Radar, Fishfinder and GPS. Life jackets, and anchor. Any idea on the value of the hull if indeed it is sound? Just so I have a starting point.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X