New member 24v Bilge Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member 24v Bilge Pump?

Boat a 95 282, great hull and good motors. It had a 24 v bilge pump that does not work. I cant find anything on the vessel with my electric experience that equals 24V, including switch and power at the pump when switch is on, any ideas or am I missing something?[?]

What makes you think it's a 24v dc pump? If it is indeed a 24dc pump it won't work at 12v that pretty clear.

Comment

You'll also want to check if you're actually getting. Voltage at the pump, do you have a float switch, manual switch, or both?

Comment

Both manual and float, and I haven't checked the float yet, its one of the square enclosed floats. The pump is a 2000 gph Rule and it says 24 volt. Voltage at the pump, wires disconnected from the pump say's 12. something. The pump I took out, when hooked straight to a 12 volt battery actually hums a bit, maybe half throttle? Ive been in the boat business for over 20+ years and I feel a bit confused. Used to run old Hatteras vessels 1970-1980, that were actually 24/32 volt vessels, but that is the last time I have seen anything but 12v dc. The guy I bought the boat from has had it for over 6 years and said the bilge pump worked the entire time he had it. It has been parked for a couple years and it's one of the systems he said didn't work when I bought it. Just feel like I'm missing something. Has Mako ever installed a 24 V pump to your knowledge? Thanks in advance.

Comment

When I used to work in the boat yard the only boat I ever remember having a 24 volt system was an old Hatteras.

That being said... sounds like you have the wrong pump. Looks like someone installed something they had laying around. As far as working on a 12 volt system.. I doubt it. It may have hummed a bit but will NOT do it's job.

Bottom line replace the pump.
          Brian[br]1992 Mako 221[br]1987 Bayliner 17 (sold)[br]1963 Elgin (sold)[br]Pasadena,MD[br][email protected][br]I am a PROUD DEPLORABLE[br]\"Make America Great Again\"[br]

Comment

Welcome to CM. I've not seen any small boats like a Mako that ran 24V's for anything. I would check the wiring to see what you get in case someone tried to get creative, but I would suspect that someone installed the wrong pump. Before you install a 12v pump definitely check the voltage. Some owners try to get overally creative on their boats. I prefer the KISS principle. [8D]
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks for the reply's and welcome. Happy 4th to all, enjoy and be safe. I live down in Hatteras and its real nice to be able to chat about Mako boats, not many down here. This vessel looks sweet and I'll be ready to start her up after replacing fuel lines, filters and such. Just cleaned the tanks and they are shining inside, a great surprise.

Comment

You were correct, someone had installed a 24 volt pump in a 12 Volt system. Installed new 12 Volt pump and it works as advertised, thanks again.

Comment

Glad we could help.
                  1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL
                  http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
                  X