New Owner, Old Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner, Old Boat

Just thought it proper to introduce myself.

I have been lurking this site for quite a while, but I finally took the bait and picked up a '79 19b with a 2002 Yamaha 100. She's mechanically sound and properly scarred for a credentialed small fishing boat.

Dropped a grand on basic maintenance parts and re-wiring primary needs (switches, nav lights, bilge pumps and horn) without even getting her wet yet. A couple of weekends of simple work on her to come and we'll be in the water until Nov.

Cosmetics are not a priority for now. A reliable fishing platform, a dirty pair of Grundens and some monster bass are beautiful to me.

I really appreciate all the information posted here, so thanks.[)]

After this season I'll decide whether there are more extensive investments to be made in this old battleaxe.

Cheers,

Doug in CT

Welcome to CM!
    quote:

Originally posted by Dude

Just thought it proper to introduce myself.

I have been lurking this site for quite a while, but I finally took the bait and picked up a '79 19b with a 2002 Yamaha 100. She's mechanically sound and properly scarred for a credentialed small fishing boat.

Dropped a grand on basic maintenance parts and re-wiring primary needs (switches, nav lights, bilge pumps and horn) without even getting her wet yet. A couple of weekends of simple work on her to come and we'll be in the water until Nov.

Cosmetics are not a priority for now. A reliable fishing platform, a dirty pair of Grundens and some monster bass are beautiful to me.

I really appreciate all the information posted here, so thanks.[)]

After this season I'll decide whether there are more extensive investments to be made in this old battleaxe.

Cheers,

Doug in CT

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Great boats...but watch the transom in a following sea or anchored up. Lots of owners fabricate splash boards on either side of the motor.

d
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that someone in the distant past partially built up the sides on the transom.

Overall my hull looks almost identical to this one: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=43508

But the transom on mine has a two step notch in it. From the gunwhales it drops down 4.5" vertically on a ~ 45 degree slant, then its horizontal for 13" and drops down AGAIN 4.5" vertically on a ~ 45 degree slant with ~ a 27" wide horizontal section around the motor. I assume this is the original transom height (~ 9" below the gunwhales).

They also fabbed up a heavy aluminum bracket that wraps around this lowest part of the transom down to the deck and almost to the bilge drain on the outside. The motor is bolted on through that bracket.

All that work was done ages ago.

I'll post pics at some point, but I'm heading off on vacation this morning.
        quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

Great boats...but watch the transom in a following sea or anchored up. Lots of owners fabricate splash boards on either side of the motor.

d

Comment

Working...
        X