Just bought a 1986 228!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a 1986 228!

Hello forum! I just purchased a 1986 228 with a 2004 Yamaha 200 2-stroke. The fuel tank was replaced a couple of years ago and appears to be in good condition from the inspection port. It has this funny bridge thing made of aluminum for rod holders, I've since attached some wakeboard tower speakers to it and replaced with rotted teal Sunbrella bimini with a new navy color one.

Next up, polish and wax the chalky gelcoat, getting cushions for down below and fixing the leaky hatch cover, oh and refinishing the teak!

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]
    1986 Mako 228

Congratulations and welcome to the family! Looks like the boat is being enjoyed well already. []

The rocket launcher rod holders are a great place to store extra rods when you are fishing and you don't have to build a full hard top. Pretty common feature, although I've never seen one mounted the way yours is. It would also be a perfect place for your white all around light to be mounted, plus some led spreader lights.

Where are you located?
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I'm down in Stuart, FL. The lights are a great idea!

I plan to bring the boat to the Keys in June for some fishing/sandbarring and SCUBA action. Maybe even the Bahamas later this summer...? Anyone from this forum ever hop over there?
      1986 Mako 228

Comment

Great first post and welcome to the forum...You even managed to get some great pics posted...well done. Get some time on the boat as I am sure you will find a gremlin or 2 before you venture offshore too many miles...It takes me a few trips before I get confidence in a new to me boat....Enjoy!!

dave
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I dont know if I've ever seen a 228 that's a neat configuration.

any shots from the cabin?

You should sign up for the October funament in Islamorada! I normally run out of Hillsborough or Boca Inlet. We haven't been over to the islands yet, might be a bit ambitious for me with a vintage 1994 single outboard. But then again I've done dumber things.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, yeah I plan to keep working on her and hope to get a trip to the Bahamas in this summer. I teach high school so I'll have plenty of time to plan a trip over.
            1986 Mako 228

Comment

Welcome to the madness. Nice looking rig. We have a 250 with twin 150 HPDI Yamahas. Under project "Yet another 250" by the way the hatch probably will need replacing. We tried new gasket and caulking but replaced it with a bowmar low profile one. The rod holder structure looks alittle out of place but as suggested is a good place for all around light and spreader LEDS. Keep up the good working and post some cabin pics.
              Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Working...
              X