Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member check in

Hello everyone,

My name is Jason, and though back in the day I grew up boating, I am now looking for my first boat. I live in Naples, Fl, and most my boating will be in the Gulf or in the everglades. I LOVE old Makos, and I am currently searching for a 23 or 25. I want it to be a single OB. I want to get a hull and running motor, and I am prepared to pull the tank and fix soft spots. I want to build an awesome boat, that is worth of re-engining in the future. I tend to buy old things, fix up, and keep for life, as opposed to buying new, to keep up with the Jones. My knowledge is limited on this, but I research the hell out of things before I jump in. I have done carpentry and fiberglass work, and being an electrical contractor, I have big shop, a LOT of tools and common sense. I assume I should not ask questions here, but forgive me, I have 2 quick questions.

1. Do these models all have a "coffin lid" for the gas tank area, or are there ones where I will have to cut the floor?

2. Are the transoms known to be weak at this age regularly, or is it a case by case thing?

Thanks for your time, and I love looking at the projects on here.

welcome to CM!

The older boats all had coffin lids and the seal has to be maintained to keep water out. Transoms can be a throw of the dice but most wood transoms at 30 years old would need to be replaced.
    quote:

Originally posted by Electroman

Hello everyone,

My name is Jason, and though back in the day I grew up boating, I am now looking for my first boat. I live in Naples, Fl, and most my boating will be in the Gulf or in the everglades. I LOVE old Makos, and I am currently searching for a 23 or 25. I want it to be a single OB. I want to get a hull and running motor, and I am prepared to pull the tank and fix soft spots. I want to build an awesome boat, that is worth of re-engining in the future. I tend to buy old things, fix up, and keep for life, as opposed to buying new, to keep up with the Jones. My knowledge is limited on this, but I research the hell out of things before I jump in. I have done carpentry and fiberglass work, and being an electrical contractor, I have big shop, a LOT of tools and common sense. I assume I should not ask questions here, but forgive me, I have 2 quick questions.

1. Do these models all have a "coffin lid" for the gas tank area, or are there ones where I will have to cut the floor?

2. Are the transoms known to be weak at this age regularly, or is it a case by case thing?

Thanks for your time, and I love looking at the projects on here.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Thank you Sailor. I am a patient man, so I will spend the next several months looking for the best deal. I will get back when I purchase one.

Comment

Working...
      X