79 23ft gas tank 85 gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 23ft gas tank 85 gallon

I'm having issues with my rear tank sucking air. My front tank is working great but when I switch to my rear tank it will run for about 30 secs and starts to suck air from the tank. Pretty much when I'm trying to get on plane. Is there a pickup tube attached to the aluminum pickup tube that runs to the back of the tank that could have possibly come off?? I have traced all the problems to something wrong inside the 85 gallon tank. Appreciate any input!

If the tank fitting for the hose connection to the engine is located in the front of the tank, than there is likely a pickup tube that runs back to the bottom rear of the tank.
    I have never heard of one breaking off....guess it could happen though.
    Maybe someone will respond that had the same problem.
    Let us know what you find please.
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Your sure it is picking up air in the line? Are you very certain you don't have any loose fitting or split elsewhere in the line? Usually the pickup is towards the back of the tank, so even if the pickup is broken off, I'd think you'd be pulling fuel as long as the tank was mostly full. Especially since this is happening on acceleration, when all fuel would be filling the rear.

Also, make sure you aren't putting too much vacuum on the tank. Have you checked the vent lines? What happens if you open the fill cap?
      1972 Mako 22[br]1979 Mako 25

Comment

I will check the fill cap idea over the weekend. I have been through every fitting and fuel line running to the engine. Runs perfect on the front tank. Withdraw tube is definitely in the front of the tank on my 85 gal. I am going to try and run a fuel line down the withdraw tube to try and reach the back of the tank and check while running. Wasn't sure if anyone was aware of the inside design of the 85 gal tank. Appreciate the input received and any further feed back I can get.

Comment

Another way to insert a trial pickup is by removing the fuel gage sending unit. When removed, you may be able to feel for the rear running tube or even see it with a strong pencil light.

I had a similar experience with years ago. We fished all day in a heavy sea 12 miles off the beach. No sooner than I started beating our way home the engines ran out of gas...rear tank. Switched to the front tank and came home. I was convinced that I had broken the tube in the heavy seas. We only ran 12 miles off the beach...no way I could have run the rear tank out of fuel. But, I did, stupid me...I had not filled it up after the previous trip. When I pulled the sending unit, I could reach the tube with a length of pvc and it was firmly in place.

Don't tell anyone that I forgot to fuel up
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

sounds like a failing rubber hose from that rear tank. either cracks or its collapsing (thank you ethanol).

Comment

Working...
            X