New member and potential glutton for punishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and potential glutton for punishment

Just joined after having read on a bunch on here trying to make up my mind about buying a project, a 1976 20. Boat is at a local auto auction that my company did some work for and is one that was to be sold as a charity sale (I'm assuming owner died and left the proceeds from it to charity). Well after arriving at the lot the axle on the trailer broke and it couldn't be taken through the sale so the auction "bought" it themselves for $400 to get the charity case taken care of and it has sat in the yard since. They are at the point that they just want to get out of it what they have in it, so for $400 plus some time and money to get it home it can be mine. Well the boat definitely has its issues, floor has definite soft spots and there's dings and such around but for a 40 year old boat it seems to be holdin up well, I believe it actually may have lived it's life on the trailer indoors or at least under a shelter until it came to the auction sometime last year. I've tried the bouncing on the outboard test (150 Mariner Magnum, I believe 1986 model) and the transom doesn't appear to flex, at least not much, and there aren't many signs of issues there, just a couple small stress cracks in the corners of the cutout and a couple spots where "may" be a little sound difference when tapping on it but I also have an untrained ear and was doing the tapping just with a knuckle while our guys were doing parking lot work not far away. Upholstery of course is shot after a year in the sun. I would enjoy the project (and the resulting second boat for lake and inshore use) and am a pretty hands on person and pretty good with most any diy type project I take on so I'm not worried about taking on the project, also have a 25 Carolina Classic that we use regularly so I won't be frustrated with being out of my boat while working on this one and lose interest in the project if it turns out to take me forever to finish. I'm envisioning this one needing at minimum a new floor and gas tank, some general gelcoat and glass repairs, upholstery, plus at least some wiring I'm sure. Also will need a better trailer or serious work on the current one. Possibly a new transom and maybe stringers and foam once I get it opened up and find the gremlins hidden inside. What do y'all think, worth the $400 for a project or just a money pit?
    1999 Carolina Classic 25[br]Mako model TBD

Welcome to CM! If you are ready to work on a project for two years I'd say go for it. You could probably get your $400 back just from the motor. I think you are spot on with your ideas of what is needed and it will be a full restoration but it will be all your work and your custom designs. I'd say go for it.
    quote:

Originally posted by Kicker30

Just joined after having read on a bunch on here trying to make up my mind about buying a project, a 1976 20. Boat is at a local auto auction that my company did some work for and is one that was to be sold as a charity sale (I'm assuming owner died and left the proceeds from it to charity). Well after arriving at the lot the axle on the trailer broke and it couldn't be taken through the sale so the auction "bought" it themselves for $400 to get the charity case taken care of and it has sat in the yard since. They are at the point that they just want to get out of it what they have in it, so for $400 plus some time and money to get it home it can be mine. Well the boat definitely has its issues, floor has definite soft spots and there's dings and such around but for a 40 year old boat it seems to be holdin up well, I believe it actually may have lived it's life on the trailer indoors or at least under a shelter until it came to the auction sometime last year. I've tried the bouncing on the outboard test (150 Mariner Magnum, I believe 1986 model) and the transom doesn't appear to flex, at least not much, and there aren't many signs of issues there, just a couple small stress cracks in the corners of the cutout and a couple spots where "may" be a little sound difference when tapping on it but I also have an untrained ear and was doing the tapping just with a knuckle while our guys were doing parking lot work not far away. Upholstery of course is shot after a year in the sun. I would enjoy the project (and the resulting second boat for lake and inshore use) and am a pretty hands on person and pretty good with most any diy type project I take on so I'm not worried about taking on the project, also have a 25 Carolina Classic that we use regularly so I won't be frustrated with being out of my boat while working on this one and lose interest in the project if it turns out to take me forever to finish. I'm envisioning this one needing at minimum a new floor and gas tank, some general gelcoat and glass repairs, upholstery, plus at least some wiring I'm sure. Also will need a better trailer or serious work on the current one. Possibly a new transom and maybe stringers and foam once I get it opened up and find the gremlins hidden inside. What do y'all think, worth the $400 for a project or just a money pit?

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

yeah, what Sailor said.

sounds like you are going in with eyes open, you may not save any $$, but you will end up with a great boat that means more than just buying someone else's work.

Welcome, post progress and ask questions, lots of great experience and advice on this site.
      Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

Comment

why cant i find one like this?[8D]

sounds like an excellent starting point for a project, would be better able to advise with pictures though [][]
        76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

Comment

Working...
        X