New guy here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here!

Hey fellas, I just inherited a 1987 (I think) Mako 231 from my uncle. I currently live in south Florida near Jupiter, so I know this boat will be right at home in these waters.

My uncle bought the boat about 15-16 years ago, and had tons of work done to it. New electronics, New t-top, teak was redone, I believe it had some fiberglass work done, and it was also repowered with 115 Evinrude FICHT engines. Since then the boat has spent its life in dry storage and has seen sporadic use since.

The fuel tank was cleaned and inspected recently, and was found in very good shape for being original. The seals, sender, and lines were replaced at that time. Right now the starboard engine needs a new engine harness. I'll be going to Tennessee to pick up the boat on July 4th to replace the harness and go through the trailer to make sure it can make the 800 mile trip back down south.

So, with that being said, what sort of things should I look for before I splash it? I'm totally new to fiberglass, and have owned aluminum boats my whole life (currently restoring a 17ft jon for inshore fishing). I doubt I will get into restoring this boat. It seems to be pretty solid as is. But I'm a wiz at electronics and wiring, and have a strong automotive background, as well as tinkering with my 40 ETEC. I'm excited about getting this boat wet, but be prepared to see lots of rookie questions here.

Here's a few pics I took while I was in Tennessee a few weeks ago.

Welcome to CM. Nice looking 231. I would make sure all filters are replaced, drain the fuel tank and add fresh NON ethanol fuel with fuel cleaner added. I would also check the water pumps, thermostats, etc. on the motors. Those fichts have a horrible reputation but if they run, just run them until they die and then think hard about repowering with a single engine. My buddy has the exact boat with a 225 and it performs VERY well. I would also check out all thru hull connections an hoses. Make sure they are tight and exercise the thru hulls as well (open and close them). check all hose clamps are tight. Make sure your bilge pumps work. When working on the electrical side, the only way to make a connection is to use crimps with heat shrink that has the glue in it so it seals all the way. Good luck and report back!
    quote:

Originally posted by Mud-duck

Hey fellas, I just inherited a 1987 (I think) Mako 231 from my uncle. I currently live in south Florida near Jupiter, so I know this boat will be right at home in these waters.

My uncle bought the boat about 15-16 years ago, and had tons of work done to it. New electronics, New t-top, teak was redone, I believe it had some fiberglass work done, and it was also repowered with 115 Evinrude FICHT engines. Since then the boat has spent its life in dry storage and has seen sporadic use since.

The fuel tank was cleaned and inspected recently, and was found in very good shape for being original. The seals, sender, and lines were replaced at that time. Right now the starboard engine needs a new engine harness. I'll be going to Tennessee to pick up the boat on July 4th to replace the harness and go through the trailer to make sure it can make the 800 mile trip back down south.

So, with that being said, what sort of things should I look for before I splash it? I'm totally new to fiberglass, and have owned aluminum boats my whole life (currently restoring a 17ft jon for inshore fishing). I doubt I will get into restoring this boat. It seems to be pretty solid as is. But I'm a wiz at electronics and wiring, and have a strong automotive background, as well as tinkering with my 40 ETEC. I'm excited about getting this boat wet, but be prepared to see lots of rookie questions here.

Here's a few pics I took while I was in Tennessee a few weeks ago.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks for the info, sailor! I can't wait to get this thing home. I was planning on repowering with a 225 or 250 ETEC on a bracket. That will be later down the road. I'll get all the use I can out of these FICHTs first.

Electronics will be my favorite part. I'll put a decent stereo system in, GPS/FF, and some LED lighting.

Any chance have any members down here in SE Florida?

Comment

Working...
      X