Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single mom but I got to keep the boat - clueless!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single mom but I got to keep the boat - clueless!

Hi there,

I have been on and around boats my entire life but don't know much about the mechanical stuff. I am the proud owner of a 1979 18' Mako. I don't have a ton of free dough to keep this thing going after I am done paying for dock, etc, so I am trying to see what I can do myself. I am a quick learner, not afraid of DIY stuff, and mostly know how to use tools even if i might not know their correct names. (I also know how not to drop important parts in the water from dealing with little cotter pins, split ring pins, etc since childhood).

My steering is still working (somehow) but my cables are frayed, dry and some of the wire is sticking out, starting to unbraid and rusted. It is clearly time to replace the cables before I get stuck somewhere.

Here's where I get stuck ... What kind of cable do I use and how long? Would teleflex work if my boat doesn't currently have it? Should I replace the helm at the same time? Anything else that needs to be replaced in the steering system? I believe it's mostly original (if not, it's definitely pretty old).

I don't know what I don't know ... so any help would be greatly appreciated. Before you tell me to start searching the forum, please know that I'm a complete novice in this and that I don't even really know what I'm looking for. So if you can post helpful links or advice instead of instructing me to search, I would really, really appreciate it!

Thanks very, very much in advance!

- Jen

Hi Jen

We can help you, the best thing is for you to post a picture of your problem.
    David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Jen M

The 18 with the flat deck and all the hatches? that is one of the harder ones to find. Good luck with the rebuild but I would recommend pulling the cable ( disconnect from steering head and engine)which will allow you to measure and get replacement length.I don't remember what size we used when we built it. If you switch to hydraulic the lengths will be the same but the cost more.

Brett

Comment

there is a thread on how to post pics, I cant seem to find it. you have to open a photobucket account (its free) and upload your pics. Then you copy the IMG code from the pic you want to display and copy that into your reply on CM
        David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Triplecrownnc

there is a thread on how to post pics, I cant seem to find it. you have to open a photobucket account (its free) and upload your pics. Then you copy the IMG code from the pic you want to display and copy that into your reply on CM

Welcome Jen. Plenty of good folks here with the knowledge and willingness to assist you...
          Here is a link to the thread Triplecrown (Dave) was seeking...

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=45829
          Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Thank you both very much for your replies.

Yes - flap deck with lots of hatches!

here are some pics of what I'm dealing with. I have no idea how it's still turning both directions at this point ...

free upload pictures

Comment

Jen,

I can see whay it seems to steer fine... The badly aged red cables are the throttle & shift cables. And most certainly need replaced...

The large diameter black cable which comes into the right side and appears to stop at the engine mount bracket is actually the steering cable. It appears OK visually on the surface, but should be minimally opened up at the nut mounting it to the engine bracket, inspected and all moving surfaces re-lubricated so that it doesn't corrode and stop working...[]

Comment

See, now I was told by west marine they were steer cables. Jeez ... that's why I'm here!

Ok - so throttle and shift cables. Good to know. Is that something I can easily order and replace myself?

Thank you!!!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jen M

See, now I was told by west marine they were steer cables. Jeez ... that's why I'm here!

Ok - so throttle and shift cables. Good to know. Is that something I can easily order and replace myself?

Thank you!!!

These are pretty easy to replace. The worst part is getting under the console to reach the ends under the controls. Depending on the engine, the aft ends at the engine may require removing additional hardware to access, but they are usually easier to reach, as you can do this standing up, while it's on a trailer. []
                  I would remove the cables, making sure to label at both ends, then take them to most any boat parts shop, and buy replacements. []

And I would recommend not going back to that particular West Marine store for them... [] Or minimally ask to speak with a different tech... []

Comment

great - thanks so much. i will work on that tomorrow. It sounds like that is something that they would typically stock, then?

So glad I posted here. I can't even explain - I was going to have to go into a service place and say "what are these cables? Is this bad? How much do I owe you?"

So, I will go grab those cables tomorrow, assuming they have them. Thanks again!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jen M

great - thanks so much. i will work on that tomorrow. It sounds like that is something that they would typically stock, then?

So glad I posted here. I can't even explain - I was going to have to go into a service place and say "what are these cables? Is this bad? How much do I owe you?"

So, I will go grab those cables tomorrow, assuming they have them. Thanks again!

Many boat repair/parts places will have the cables, or may have something that is within a few inches of correct length. I would recommend that you not allow them to sell you something that is more than a few inches different in length, as they may initially fit, but then bind and possibly get damaged when tilting the motor.
                      If they are not in stock, either try another store, or if they can order/get them in a time-frame which fits for you...

Good luck [][]

Comment

Jen,

Welcome to Classic Mako..I am not aware of an 18 footer from the 70's...I think they went 17 to 19. 19 had 2 helm chairs. When ever you pull something out of the rigging tube ALWAYS pull in 2 ropes with it. Pour dawn dish washing soap down the PVC rigging tube inside of the console. It will make pulling stuff through it easier.
                        Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Welcome post some pics of the boat!
                          Billy[br]1974 Mako23 CC Cuddy IO[br]200hp Cummins Mercruiser Diesel w/ Bravo 3X Drive[br]Bellport Long Island NY[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=42355#319618[br][/URL][br]

Comment

Looked at some docs and it looks like it is indeed a 17' - I'm sorry. It has red aft hatch covers. I can take and post some pics tomorrow when it's light. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                            X