New owner 79' 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner 79' 21

Hello, I've been a long time lurker and finally purchased a 79' 21.

She seems to be solid all around. Working on power and possibly a trailer rebuild. I currently have 18" hanging off the back of the bunk. According to post I've read here and on THT, that's too much to have hanging off.

Congrats. I am the proud owner of a 79 21 as well. The 21 maybe the best Mako ever made.

That's a lot to have off the end of the bunks. Can you adjust the winch stand forward? What about moving the bunks back?

Comment

Congrats and welcome. You may be better off buying a new trailer
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. The trailer that came with the boat is a float on brand and it actually doesn't have a winch. I'm assuming you just power load it until it latches.

I plan on repowering with a Suzuki 175 and running on plastics until I tackle the tank in the Fall. Hopefully, I can figure how to post some pictures up soon.

Comment

Welcome to CM,

i to have a 79 21' that i am working on.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Pete

Welcome to CM,

i to have a 79 21' that i am working on.

Thanks, hopefully I can enjoy her during the season. I'll plan on taking care of the bigger items this Fall/Winter.

What's the average time for rigging a new outboard? The dealer said I could rig it myself; however, I would need to bring it back to them for inspection.

Comment

I'd have the dealer rig the outboard. Any problems and it's on them.

I have an Etc on my 21. Great motor that does the job quite well.[]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dogman18

I'd have the dealer rig the outboard. Any problems and it's on them.

I have an Etc on my 21. Great motor that does the job quite well.[]

Actually, went ahead and got my boat back. Had the dealer rig the 175; however, the troll switch isn't working. I just wanted the boat back and I'll let them get it right at my 20 hour service.

I'm planning on running plastics under the console for. I can't wait for my first splash. Kind of jealous the dealer got to take it out before me.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dogman18

Congrats. I am the proud owner of a 79 21 as well. The 21 maybe the best Mako ever made.

That's a lot to have off the end of the bunks. Can you adjust the winch stand forward? What about moving the bunks back?

So I'm in the process of fixing up the trailer. I've contacted Float-On and purchased a new stop bar. I also purchased a new jack and winch with the intention of converting it.

I sent a few pictures to Float-On and Q said I should probably replace the axles as well. Will all the money I'm spending, I"m thinking I should start looking locally for a replacement trailer. I will also need to add brakes to my current trailer.

Other than that, I've been enjoying my boat. I have about 30 hours on the new motor and she's running great. I top out around 40 mph around 6000 rpms.

Comment

Basically you will have a new,used trailer once the axles are replaced. Better ride and safer as well. I redid my old trailer and saved a bunch[] of money.

Comment

I need to get used to checking back, I'm used to getting emails about replies.

The only thing I'm not a fan of, are the bunks being too short.

Comment

Working...
                      X