Looking to buy into the mako club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy into the mako club

I've been lurking classic mako for quite a while. I've offshore fished on and off all my life but never owed my own boat. My deal fell thru on a new bass boat I ordered "your gel coat is stewed- you don't want this boat" so I'm back to the drawing board. The wife really would rather I go offshore boat instead of bass cause she hates bass fishing. So now I'm where a lot of people have been Mako 254 or Mako 261. I want something to use this summer messing around with and next year strip down, restore, and add new four stroke moters. I love tuna fishing and that takes a 110-130 mile each way run from Freeport Tx- where I would launch. This may only be a two or three times a year trip but I want to be able to do it. Next thing is I just bought a new Toyota Tundra- can I tow a 261 with it without destroying my truck. I will keep the boat on the trailer so towing is a concern. I would rather the bigger boat but if I can't tow it it makes no sense. Will the 254 do the tuna trips if I try to judge weather right. Give me some ideas good or bad. I'm set on these two boat so don't tell me to get a 36 yellowfin. Thanks

I tow a 261 with a Ram 1500 crew cab. Tows well. Trailer balance is the key. Whoever set mine up has the tongue weight perfect.
    Preacherman[br]1987 Mako 261[br]1992 Angler 220 a Sold[br]1987 Bayliner 19 cc Sold[br]1977 Glaspar - Sold

Comment

I tow a 261 with a Ram 1500 crew cab. Tows well. Trailer balance is the key. Whoever set mine up has the tongue weight perfect.
      Preacherman[br]1987 Mako 261[br]1992 Angler 220 a Sold[br]1987 Bayliner 19 cc Sold[br]1977 Glaspar - Sold

Comment

I installed a 12kw 4' last year and sometimes go 100 nautical miles one way and then troll/run to the birds on radar and have 40-60 gal left out of a 175 gal tank on a Mako 241 (I watch my fuel efficiency and only run as fast as needed to conserve for an adequate reserve, trying to stay as close to 1.7-1.9 as possible). So both your proposed boats would be fine, just be careful, once FULLY loaded, people tend to underestimate their weight though.
        [br]Mako 241[br]Winter Garden, FL

Comment

I installed a 12kw 4' last year and sometimes go 100 nautical miles one way and then troll/run to the birds on radar and have 40-60 gal left out of a 175 gal tank on a Mako 241 (I watch my fuel efficiency and only run as fast as needed to conserve for an adequate reserve, trying to stay as close to 1.7-1.9 as possible). So both your proposed boats would be fine, just be careful, once FULLY loaded, people tend to underestimate their weight though.
          [br]Mako 241[br]Winter Garden, FL

Comment

The 261 is a much larger boat then any 25 and would be much preferred for those long runs. You can tow it with the tundra fine stopping is the issue. Make sure you have good brakes on the trailer.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

The 261 is a much larger boat then any 25 and would be much preferred for those long runs. You can tow it with the tundra fine stopping is the issue. Make sure you have good brakes on the trailer.
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
              X