Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intoroduction and some help

Greetings all,

I am really glad I found this site online - it will be really helpful as I just purchased a 1972 Mako 22 and am planning on bringing it back to life.

The back story is better than the boat and that is why I purchased this particular boat.

My grandfather, an avid fisherman, bought the boat brand new, and powered it with a 135 Evinrude and a 6 hp Evinrude kicker. He would use it primarily for Blue fishing and Snapper blues in the Milford CT Area of Long Island Sound. He was retired and would take his buddies out and occasion, take me and my cousins as well.

When he passed in 1978, my uncle inherited the boat and shared it with my dad and their other brother. We'd have a schedule and fight over weekends, but it was always a blast. In 1980 they repowered the boat with a 175 Johnson.

Over time my one uncle bought his own 1973 Trojan (which he still owns) and then my father basically bought out my other uncle. As I grew older, the time spent with my dad on the boat, whether it was water skiing or fishing, was invaluable. He never allowed me to use the boat by myself as much as I wanted to; probably a wise move as look back.

My dad sold the boat in 1993 and that was the end of our boating fun; that is until I recently found THAT boat on Craigslist. I went to see it on Sunday and brought it home today. My dad's 80th birthday is in September and I hope to have it restored by then to "present" it to him.

The boat has been sitting since 1999. I am looking to replace the engine, steering and rigging. All the teak is shot and I yet to have it surveyed. Once I do, I ill have a better idea of what needs to be done, first and then get his baby back to her original glory.

Truthfully, if not for the history I may have passed but this is a project that has been in the making since I was 5 years old.

Please share any ideas you may have a to what I may need to do and if any of you are in CT and can recommend anyone to help me along, I would greatly appreciate it.

I look forward to learning from you!

Thats great family heritage...I am so glad you found the boat after all these years. Read up on similar restorations here on CM and hopefully you can find the info and the courage you need to pull off this job...Lots of 22 foot boats have been restored...they were very popular back in the day...

Welcome Home...

d
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Very cool story, if you are in or around Connecticut, i dont live far. I can offer you some help if you need. Just shoot me an email.

Good luck with it

Rob

[email protected]

Comment

Very cool story, if you are in or around Connecticut, i dont live far. I can offer you some help if you need. Just shoot me an email.

Good luck with it

Rob

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X