1977 25 owner with repower question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 25 owner with repower question

I have a 77 25 Mako that I absolutely love which came with a 99 225 Johnson that I had rebuilt this year. If I win the lottery, or if Hillary is not elected, I may consider trading the 225 for a new outboard but fear the weight of a 4 stroke won't work here and find the new 2 stroke Evinrudes are nearly 100lbs heavier than my Johnson (225, 250, 300). The boat sits so low with my current outboard I don't want to create a disaster as the dealers I have spoken to are only interested in making a buck with no regard to what my concerns are (dealers here in NJ) nor do they have any understanding of what I am explaining (they sell new bayliners, polars, and the like). Any ideas or just keep the old Johnson and go slow? I've seen pics of these boats from old literature with (2) 135HP Evinrudes which where like 360 lbs each (?). And, I do not want to put a bracket on the boat. Any comment appreciated.
    Buy quality, learn from my mistakes.[br]

A single 300 four stroke would be fine. If you are sitting low in the water with a single 225 there are other issues. Are your batteries and oil located in the console or the stern? Move them to the console if not. You probably have water trapped in the foam in the hull. Make sure all your rod holders and any other penetrations are sealed and do not let water into the hull.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks Sailor; the apparent factory waterline (not much was done to the boat prior to my purchase) is level all around so the battery move makes perfect and obvious sense if I go the route of a new ob. Will do batteries into the console regardless as that's a better location anyway. The old Johnson isn't really that bad the more I price a new outboard. Good site for those that are looking into new outboards where you can see the incredible mark up dealers are making: http://www.seedealercost.com/om.
      Buy quality, learn from my mistakes.[br]

Comment

For years I wanted to repower and felt like my only option was an etec or merc due to wait. One day while my 17 year old 200hp suk was broke down I had my 12 year old sit on the cowling while we were waiting for seatow. There was no noticeable change to the water line. This past July I drove my mako down to FL from PA to Outboard Specialties and they hung a 2015 250HP apx Suzuki outboard. This motor is awesome. 3.8-4mpg on the troll, low to mid 3mpg at cruise. Gets the old girl up on plane quick. That debunks the torque myth about 2strokes. The suk was less money than any dealer priced etec and no dumb oil tank to hide somewhere. The piece of mind I have now is awesome. Boat handles better and my confidence as a skipper has greatly improved. No more nervous feeling coming back to the inlet praying the darn thing just stays running. Oh ha and the suk came with a 6 year warranty
        1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Well said Brando! x2 on the Suzuki!!

Comment

Specs on the Evinrude E-tec 90deg V-6 3.4 liter 250H.O. Weight is 503 lbs. for the 25" shaft motor.(with alot of torque)

Yamaha 4 stroke " OffShore" 250hp is 562 lbs

Suzuki 4 Stroke 250hp is 505 lbs

Just thought I would throw it out there. Everyone one this site is a very nice group of folks All of the motors are good these days the main thing is to get our familys out on the water and have Fun.

"Life Is Too Short"
            Chuckster[br]284CC w/twin 300\'s E-Tec Sold[br]2201 w 200H.O E-Tec Sold[br]Old School 86 201C with Yamaha 150 carb \"Old Reliable\"

Comment

Specs on the Evinrude E-tec 90deg V-6 3.4 liter 250H.O. Weight is 503 lbs. for the 25" shaft motor.(with alot of torque)

Yamaha 4 stroke " OffShore" 250hp is 562 lbs

Suzuki 4 Stroke 250hp is 505 lbs

Just thought I would throw it out there. Everyone one this site is a very nice group of folks All of the motors are good these days the main thing is to get our familys out on the water and have Fun.

"Life Is Too Short"
              Chuckster[br]284CC w/twin 300\'s E-Tec Sold[br]2201 w 200H.O E-Tec Sold[br]Old School 86 201C with Yamaha 150 carb \"Old Reliable\"

Comment

Working...
              X