Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 220 owner with some questions. - MOVED

Hello everyone,

My name is Joe and I am the proud new owner of a 1989 Mako 220 with a 1996 Johnson Ocean Runner 225hp. I am the third owner of this vessel and I am very pleased with it so far.

Here are some photos:

I haven't done much except burn fuel since I brought it home about a month ago. Since winter is approaching here in New England I am trying to get together a list of improvements I would like to make. I had a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

To start, does anyone have a picture of their switch panel? Mine has seen better days and I would like to get a new label made up, but I need to know what each switch is for!

Also, I need to replace my scuppers, they are all stuck straight out from years of neglect. Should I replace them with the black flap style that is on there now? Or is there a better system available?

My teak door is broken underneath the back-to-back seat. It looks like someone put their foot through it. Does anyone out there make a replacement?

If you can see in the photos, there is some angle aluminum over the transom. Was it shipped from the factory like this or is it an attempt at strengthening the transom?

Does anyone else get water in their cabin? I have water coming in through the drain in the floor. Not a lot, but enough to annoy me and get your feet wet if you step down there. Hoping my scupper replacement would help this issue.

I also have a port-side lean issue. I have read up on that a little bit but haven't really found a solution. Is this common with the 220 hull? Anyway to counteract it without having a bunch of people sit the starboard side?

I think that may be it for now. I really love this boat. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened it up to 5500rpm on a really flat day and reached 38.5mph (via the Garmin GPS) with 5 people and a half tank of fuel. She likes to cruise around 4000-4500rpm before all my fuel and oil is gone.

If anyone has tips, comments, or stories about these boats I would love to hear them!

Thank you in advance,

Joe Adams
    1989 Mako 220 w/ 1996 Johnson Ocean Runner 225

Welcome to the site. I think its great to have a new member, and secondly post pictures right off the bat.
    Todd from Michigan[br]1995 Mako 232. No power yet.[br]1995 Mako 191. ETEC G2 175.[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52599[br]A father tells his son, \"Son, jacking off will make you go blind....\"[br]The son replies, \"Dad, I\'m over here\"[br][/URL][br]

Comment

I have a 1988 220. The water in the cabin is from the bilge area just stick a plug in the drain. Mine also listed but it was from both batteries being on one side.

Comment

Can you post some pics of your port seat? I've been thinking about making one for my 220.

Comment

thanks kaama82 and tbauer!

ill have to find a good plug for the cabin inside drain. i had one battery on each side and it was still leaning so i'm going to move one so theyre both on the starboard side. i will go out in a bit and post some photos of my port seat for you.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kaama82

Welcome to the site. I think its great to have a new member, and secondly post pictures right off the bat.

Agreed! Welcome to CM and your new to you Mako. Keep an eye on ebay for the fuse panels, you might find one that is pretty close to the same, or you can just replace the labels. It should be a pretty easy thing to go through and figure out what is what and then label them.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Welcome Joe

I also just recently purchased my first Mako. A 1992 model 221

I also needed new transom scuppers. Here is a link to the replacements.

http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/plumb-drains-misc/845
              Brian[br]1992 Mako 221[br]1987 Bayliner 17 (sold)[br]1963 Elgin (sold)[br]Pasadena,MD[br][email protected][br]I am a PROUD DEPLORABLE[br]\"Make America Great Again\"[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by joehadams

To start, does anyone have a picture of their switch panel? Mine has seen better days and I would like to get a new label made up, but I need to know what each switch is

Also, I need to replace my scuppers, they are all stuck straight out from years of neglect. Should I replace them with the black flap style that is on there now? Or is there a better system available?

My teak door is broken underneath the back-to-back seat. It looks like someone put their foot through it. Does anyone out there make a replacement?

If you can see in the photos, there is some angle aluminum over the transom. Was it shipped from the factory like this or is it an attempt at strengthening the transom?

Does anyone else get water in their cabin? I have water coming in through the drain in the floor. Not a lot, but enough to annoy me and get your feet wet if you step down there. Hoping my scupper replacement would help this issue.

I also have a port-side lean issue. I have read up on that a little bit but haven't really found a solution. Is this common with the 220 hull? Anyway to counteract it without having a bunch of people sit the starboard side?

I think that may be it for now. I really love this boat. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened it up to 5500rpm on a really flat day and reached 38.5mph (via the Garmin GPS) with 5 people and a half tank of fuel. She likes to cruise around 4000-4500rpm before all my fuel and oil is gone.

If anyone has tips, comments, or stories about these boats I would love to hear them!

Thank you in advance,

Joe Adams

Hi Joe and welcome. Looks like your original post was from last fall so not sure what you got accomplished.

1) buy a new switch panel, or have one made at a vinyl lettering place in your area. Clean the area then apply new decal.

2) if you need new drain tubes then go to Moeller marine, just new scupper door cover then either the SS plate with neoprene or the plastic flap kind

3) teak door can be replaced by Jim at Louvered Products

4) meta transom bracket most likely DIY jop.

5) drain in cabin goes to bilge. You must be getting water in your bilge and its following the pvc pipe up. Take care of the water getting in your cabin

6) not seeing your setup 100% I'd say a set of trim tabs will take your lean out. Just adjust to what ever load you have. Plan to move batteries to the cabin but that will require a rewire and maybe you're not ready for that.

Lastly if you post in projects or discussion you'll get more response.

Good luck
                1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Thank you for all the responses guys! I'm not new to boating (only 24yrs old but I have 3 boats and a jetski in the yard. Whoops!) I'm just new to the Mako world and so far I'm loving it.

tbauer, here's my port seat, it converts to a flat bench.

Here's what I've done so far (it isn't much but everything is progress right?)

-replace hinges on cabin door and rear fishboxes

-installed automatic 1100GPH bilge pump

-Remove name from sides

-New anchor chain

-gelcoat repairs

-relocate battery

-new scuppers ( http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...10&group=71422 )

-rebuilt trim/tilt unit

Other things on my list include:

Install 12v aux power port

Change fuel Hoses

New fuel-water separator

new weather stripping on cabin door top

Bottom paint

repaint boot stripe

fix door louvered door under passenger seat - will check in with Louvered Products

Install solar panel trickle charger

I think I have a pretty good grasp on what 4 or 5 of the switches do, I will have to fiddle around with the rest to clarify. I have a friend that's a graphic designer so once i get those sorted out I will have him create a new label to stick on there.

Anyone have trim tab recommendations? I may go this route but once Its up on plane the boat evens out. I may just hold off for this season and see if I can move some things around the boat to counteract it.

Thanks again all!

Comment

I can post a pic of my switch panel but there is no guarantee someone didn't change the wiring around. I'm getting ready to buy 12x12 trim tabs for my 220 I'll let you know how that works out.

Comment

Congratulations, I love the experience you allready have. 4 boats-I like your style. I'm working at my present company a year before you were born! Thats funny to me.

Whate ever your doing, keep doing it.

BWP
                      [br]Starcraft Bluewater 180, 1988[br]1996 Mercury 115 2+2 exlpto[br]Project Link: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46572

Comment

Congratulations, I love the experience you allready have. 4 boats-I like your style. I'm working at my present company a year before you were born! Thats funny to me.

Whate ever your doing, keep doing it.

BWP
                        [br]Starcraft Bluewater 180, 1988[br]1996 Mercury 115 2+2 exlpto[br]Project Link: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46572

Comment

I just happen to have my old switch panel off my 220 this may help you out to find what each switch is for.

88 220 with 225 E-tec[br]Babylon, NY[br]

Comment

I just happen to have my old switch panel off my 220 this may help you out to find what each switch is for.

88 220 with 225 E-tec[br]Babylon, NY[br]

Comment

Thanks guys!

IDBooch, thank you very much for that photo, it helps a ton! Turns out some of the switches went bad so instead of replacing it they just hard wired it to the distribution panels!

A couple $5 switches later and everything works, even the windshield wiper!

Comment

Working...
                              X