New Member/Old Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member/Old Boat

Afternoon all. New member, old boat. Hopefully got the motor all dialed in two weekends ago, going to try my hand at some bondo on the front where the "roller" has cracked/gauge the bottom a bit. Also going to replace the roller while i'm at it.

Welcome to the Owners Club. Nice classic. Great motor. Enjoy the boat and forum.
    OBX, NC - 1992 Mako M-231 - 99 Yamaha ox66 225 -Sold-[br]

Comment

Not so great motor. Been nothing but problems. Previous owner bought the motor used and it has left me stranded many times, which leads to my next question. I like the boat, everything seem sturdy but needs some tlc, are these boats worth re-powering or should I save my money for a new boat all together?

Comment

Sorry to hear of problems. Classic Makos are totally worth restoring and/or repowering, hence the following you see here on the forum. The question to you is, Is that the boat that you want, that fits your needs? Would you buy a new 15 Mako or a different style/size boat if you went new?

Comment

Boat is perfect for what I need and where I live. Crabbing, some white perch fishing, etc. All the newer boats have a raised platform in front of the console, makes it really hard to take stackable crab pots, bushels and such with me. I would need a very generic flat bottom skiff in order to have enough floor space, and they don't ride like this boat. Leaning towards a suzuki motor, heard good things and have a local shop that services them and sells them. Any words of advise on new motors?

Comment

I think an E-Tec would look great on that boat!
            [/URL]

Comment

I haven't been on a boat with a new etec, but I've been trolling on a boat with a 2-stroke and after a bit of time, the smell starts getting to me. Figured for a boat that I plan to troll at slow speeds i'm better off avoiding the potential of smelling the 2 stroke in 3-5 hour increments. The other boat was a walk-about though, so driving that kinda held in the smell if the wind was blowing fumes in the cabin/cockpit area.

Comment

Next question.. what hp would anyone recommend? Would a 30hp get me up to plane and cruise around? I only plan on having crabbing gear and 1 passenger. very rarely I might take 2, but again, i'm not trying to set any speed records, just want to get to the crabbing spot and get home.

Comment

Not sure what yr. hull you have but in 1975 the max hp for the 15 was 70 hp.

http://www.mako-boats.com/past-model...tBoatYear=1975

A general rule is no less than 75% of the max rated hp.

75% 0f 70 hp is 50 +/-. 30hp might be a little light on the power.

Gear adds up, I would hate to buy a new motor to find out it was inadequate.

Here are a few 15's to look at:

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=37397

No one likes to use the forum search but it does work if you search the "Subject Only" in the "Search In" box rather than "Entire Message". I just did a search for "Mako 15" in the "Search For" box and several threads popped up.

Comment

The E-Tec technology minimizes smoke...I cant smell mine at all. Plus your trolling gas mileage can be twice as good as a 4 stroke! Quiet too
                    [/URL]

Comment

Working...
                    X