looking to buy 97' 191

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy 97' 191

New to boating and I'm looking at a 97 191, I hear concerns with company changes that affect hull quality. It has sat under roof most of it's 18 years and is in great condition including it's original Johnson 150 motor, likewise I hear it is a great motor but smokie. What advise would be offered in my position?

Rob,

I have a '98 191 with original 150 Merc. My past experience with Makos was In mid 80's when my dad had a 23 then a 25. Since buying my 191 in '13, I will say it ain't my daddies Mako. I have rewired mine, added hydraulic steering, and crawled all over it. That being said, fit and finish may not be as it was, but this hull is awesome! For its size, it handles the short DE Bay chop excellent, and has much more bow flare keeping you drier than older model 19 and 20's. For the right price, I'd move on it if in decent shape.
    Salem County, NJ[br]Whaler 15 SS (sold)[br]Mako 191[br]

Comment

This past summer we purchased a 1998 191 with 2003 Yahmaha 150, boat and engine are in great shape. Took it down to the Keys and the boat could haul ass but listed to the right. Messing with the Zinc tab, adding Bennett 12x9 trim tabs hasn't seem to correct the problem. The issue we have now is the steering pulls hard to the Rt or Lt once you get over 21-22 mph. I'm wondering if the Mercury Prop 48 163 16A45 19P is the problem - Gatco, does your boat handle well at high speed and if so what prop do you have on your 150? Hoping to get out this weekend to make any necessary adjustments.
      Cane4Life

Comment

I'm working nights next couple days, and have 3ft snow drifts around the boat. I will get out there and check the specs on my prop, hopefully by Friday afternoon for you. I do not have any issues with steering, or a list. I have Bennett sport tabs, and before putting them on she was very susceptible to weight, and would list as people moved around. I also have Baystar hydraulic steering, which is up to/including 150hp. With mechanical steering, you will have torque steer, not an issue with the hydraulic.

Comment

Sorry for delay, I actually forgot till this am to check my prop. I am running a mercury stainless steel mirage plus, 48-18278 17p. My engine is the original 2 stroke, I don't run it hard. Cruise around 3800-4k, roughly 33 mph +- a couple depending on load, top out around 43mph at about 5100 rpm.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Greggdana65

This past summer we purchased a 1998 191 with 2003 Yahmaha 150, boat and engine are in great shape. Took it down to the Keys and the boat could haul ass but listed to the right. Messing with the Zinc tab, adding Bennett 12x9 trim tabs hasn't seem to correct the problem. The issue we have now is the steering pulls hard to the Rt or Lt once you get over 21-22 mph. I'm wondering if the Mercury Prop 48 163 16A45 19P is the problem - Gatco, does your boat handle well at high speed and if so what prop do you have on your 150? Hoping to get out this weekend to make any necessary adjustments.

How far down is your engine mounted? Put a straight edge off the bottom of the hull and see where it intersects the lower unit.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
            X