New Owner & Rod holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner & Rod holders

I purchased a 1979 25'8" mostly restored. Now I am going to Tweek it out.

Has any one (i am sure) installed rod holders up the gunnels?

What should i look for before I start the project. Should i get capped rod holders to keep the water out of gunnels? I do I just let the water run through to the gunnels? How many rod holders has anyone placed along the gunnels?

Please advise.

What a great forum, and all the beautiful boats that have been restored to better that new. Now that's true Love. I will be doing the same.

I have a lot more questions, please be patient with me.

Congrats on your "new" boat...the folks on this forum love pics and will respond more if you include them. The debate on how to deal with the rod holder issue is prevalent throughout the forum...just search and you'll find all kinds of advice. I restored an old 19 and welded the bottoms of mine to make sure water couldn't get to the foam...of course they fill with water, but one of the water entry points has been permanently removed! Good luck with your boat.
    [/URL]

Comment

Welcome to the madness! Add as many as you want lol. I like the ones with covers, but have both
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

You may want to check these out. These rod holders are made by a company called MateSeries and they offer several different options. We installed the stainless ones that matched the plastic ones that the previous owner had. WARNING. these things are not cheap but I will say they are the finest rod holders you will ever find. This style has an integrated cup holder and built in threaded connection for hose connections. The drain tube goes all the way back to the bilge pumps.

[/URL]

Comment

Congrats on the new boat! I replaced the rod holders on my 254 with LD Marine swivel rod holders. For me, the new holders were longer so I ended up cutting into the foam to make them fit. Like others here on the forum, I used rod holder drains (purchased from Great Lakes Skipper) with tubing to drain all the way to the bilge.

Most important (IMHO) was adding backing plates to the rod holders. This was somewhat of a task to get them in place, but I ended up cutting a hole in the rod locker, which I ultimately covered with a deck plate. Then had some help from small arms to get them in place and screw the holders into. But if you're fishing for any kind of larger pelagic, I definitely recommend the backing plates.

Good luck with the project and post pics!

http://greatlakesskipper.com/media/c.../1009457-1.jpg

Johnny[br]Duxbury, MA

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.

Now let's pictures!! My first successful attempt.

Comment

There it is!! Thank you very much, perfect & pricey... Thanks for the help.
              quote:

Originally posted by Fmbucs1

You may want to check these out. These rod holders are made by a company called MateSeries and they offer several different options. We installed the stainless ones that matched the plastic ones that the previous owner had. WARNING. these things are not cheap but I will say they are the finest rod holders you will ever find. This style has an integrated cup holder and built in threaded connection for hose connections. The drain tube goes all the way back to the bilge pumps.

[/URL]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by robertnast

Thanks for all the help guys.

Now let's pictures!! My first successful attempt.

Nice looking ride but what is up with the trailer?
                1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

[/size=4]The trailer was not set right for the boat, I had work done on it like refitting it for the boat, springs, etc. this was a before picture. All is well now.[/size=4]

Comment

[/size=4]The trailer was not set right for the boat, I had work done on it like refitting it for the boat, springs, etc. this was a before picture. All is well now.[/size=4]

Comment

The hole cut out.id="size3">

Top of the rod storage holder, very hard to cut into a PVC tube with a hole saw, at a 30 degree angle WOW!!id="size3">

Plastic tube attached to new rod holder for drainage in to the rod starage which has a drain hole in place.id="size3">

Finished product, what a pain, but it done.id="size3">

Thanks for the help FMBUC 1. Turned out great, only 6 more to go...id="size3">

Comment

Don't notice a good bead of 5200 squishing out around the edges...dont let that water in!
                        [/URL]

Comment

Already done, thanks for the check up.id="size3">

Comment

Working...
                          X