new to me '78 mako, 21'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to me '78 mako, 21'

So while I am working on my 23' Seacraft restoration, I decided to buy another boat to get me back out on the water in the mean time. Didn't have a big budget so I was looking at the older 20' and 21' Mako's. I finally decided on the 21'. so here it is....it does have a few areas that need attention. I want to rewire the console; right now its just a huge birds nest and I don't want to rely on that when on the water. There are a couple of soft spots but nothing (in my opinion) that wont keep me from getting out.

as you can see she's no beauty queen but its a great boat. I do need to get a cushion made for the leaning post as well as the front seating cushion.....its there but the backing is rotted out....all in all I feel like I get a great boat with somethings that could use some attention. I think for now I will rewire the console and put the other effort in the Seacraft.

Any input of what to look for or do would be greatly appreciated....when I get a chance I will post some pics of the seacraft as well......

so I do have a question..... I am going to replace the existing, older bilge pump and rewire it. I plan on having 2 pumps where it currently only has one. What size is suggested? I was considering (2) RuleMate 750's.....too much? not enough?

Nice platform with solid 2-stroke yammy power.

I'd encourage you to use the 750gph as your primary but have a larger say 1500gph backup/emergency bilge pump.

Other than the wiring, the fuel tank and transom are other areas that may need to be addressed at some point.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

thanks Justin.....i guess the big question is why the 1500 gph as backup? i know the transome will need to be ddressed at some point.

All the thru-hulls in the transome were not sealed at all. so im sure it is saturated but not completely rotten.....i dont notice any give or flex but i know it is a concern. After reading all these threads i am worried about the tank. i think when i remove the console for ease of re-wiring and battery placement i will take the hatch off for the tank and see what lies benmeath.....

Comment

Good plan on the tank.

Regarding the larger secondary bilge pump, the wise ass but accurate reason is your life is worth $100.

The concept is that the smaller pump is for everyday dewatering and the larger pump is only triggered in emergencies.

That backup pump may never run -- but if you need it, it could be a lifesaver. Literally.

You could also install 2 equal size large capacity pumps if you like.

http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/bilge_pumps.htm
        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Good plan on the tank.

Regarding the larger secondary bilge pump, the wise ass but accurate reason is your life is worth $100.

The concept is that the smaller pump is for everyday dewatering and the larger pump is only triggered in emergencies.

That backup pump may never run -- but if you need it, it could be a lifesaver. Literally.

http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/bilge_pumps.htm

Comment

ha! i guess the obvious isnt really obvious till it slaps you in the face 1500 it is.....thanks

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by fatcat01

ha! i guess the obvious isnt really obvious till it slaps you in the face 1500 it is.....thanks

Sure

Check out the article I posted.

Wire both pumps via float switches directly to the battery. You can incorporate an auto/on/off switch at the console but be sure it's getting power direct from a battery (this ensures pumps don't lose power when a battery switch is turned off).

Use ample size wire.

Comment

great article! i thought the RuleMate pumps had internal float switches....am i wrong in saying that?

Comment

I do believe the rule mate pumps have built in sensors yes, but not traditional float switches.

Personally I think those are not ideal as they sometimes work erratically and / or cycle on and off too much and drain batteries -- a non auto rule pump wired with a float switch (rule, water witch, etc) is preferable.

Comment

so i guess the next question is this.....when I start to rewire the console, the wire sizing calls for #14......is there any negative reason to use #12? good or bad idea?

Comment

Working...
                    X