Confirming that the Hull is solid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirming that the Hull is solid

This Saturday I am closing on a used 1985 Mako 17 - buying from a dealer. How can I confirm that the hull and transom are in good shape (not water logged or rotted)? It is my first boat - and of course the dealer tells me everythiong is fine. Thanks!

You should hire a survey and the sale of the boat should be contingent upon it passing the survey. You can pound on the hull with a soft plastic mallet and listen to the sound, which is what you are paying a surveyor to do as you need to know the difference in the sound and what it means. If you can post a link or pictures we can give you a much better idea of what you are looking at.

Also look for stress cracks along the transom. If you can raise the motor up half way and then grab the end and move it up and down, look for flex on the transom. Any flex and the core is wet - doesn't mean it will fall off, but a transom replacement would be inevitable. Many have run with wet transoms for many years without issues.

You can also remove a screw from a transducer and see if water comes out or the wood inside is wet, but you need to be able to put sealant back on when the screw goes in or water will get in.

PS - this time of the year, the dealer is trying to make a last sale of the year....trust me.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Just figured out how to upload pics of the boat in question -- not great pictures,, but what I have handy. Can anyone tell me for sure which model this is (is it an Angler?

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/highlake26/library/

Comment

Added several additional pictures. Wondering if members can tell me the following:

1. Which model is this Mako 17 - Angler or standard?

2. Is there anything you see from the pictures that I should ask about as I pick the boat up from the dealer (this weekend)?

Thanks!!

Comment

That's a Mako 17 standard. Hard to tell from those pictures, but looks to be in good condition. The fuel tank and especially the fuel lines need to be inspected. When you get to the boat open a hatch to the bilge and immediately stick your head in there and sniff for gas fumes. any smell and there is probably a leak somewhere.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Thanks. On the point about potential problems with Hull/transom, when I asked the dealer, he said when they brought the boat in the warehouse, they pulled the transom plug and no water came out (he felt this was a good sign of no water buildup in hull/transom). he also showed me points where motor was mounted and said if waterlogged, the transom wall would be indented (sucked in) in areas around where the screws attach to transom. Thoughts on this feedback?

Comment

Just pulling the plug doesn't mean anything and I seriously doubt they pulled out the brass sleeve that the plug goes into and actually checked the wood core. A *seriously* wet transom would show indents along the bolt holes but it could still be wet. It does look nice from what I can see in the pictures, but I'd still want to check out the fuel tank.
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Thanks Sailor - I will check out the bilge and sniff around!

Silly question for you - under the seat cushion in front of the center console, there is a storage compartment. Is this typically used for fish - not even sure if this compartment had a bilge pump, or if this is a sort of cooler or storage space?

Comment

Working...
                X