Im Back! 1973 22' Mako w/ twin Merc 115s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im Back! 1973 22' Mako w/ twin Merc 115s

It's been quite awhile. Finally have a Mako again!

I just picked up my new to me Mako this past weekend and have a ton of questions already. It's a 1973 22' Mako with twin Tower of Power 115 mercs sitting on the back of it. Solid floors, solid transom. Motors run but are going to need a thorough going through, already took carbs off for rebuilds while the weather is too cold and awful to do anything up here in NE. Trim and tilt works on both but need some work as well, and everything needs to be rewired.

First thing I noticed, fuel lines have single pickup from a 5/8" fuel line, connect to a tee, and split off into two 3/8" fuel lines. Was this a common setup for this vintage Mako with twin engines?

At the very least I am going to replace all fuel line, replace the tee, and install two seperate racor FWS's with (with bulbs in-line as well) going to each engine.

A friend suggested running the 5/8" line to one racor filter and having both engines run off one filter with two 3/8" lines coming from it. Not a huge fan of the idea but what do you all think?
    1992 Luhrs 300 Tournament[br]1976 23\' SeaCraft CC Inboard[br]1988 9\' Boston Whaler[br]John P. out of [br]Quincy, MA

I think I did the picture right. This is the picture from the ad, unfortunately it is all I have right now.

[img][/img]
    1992 Luhrs 300 Tournament[br]1976 23\' SeaCraft CC Inboard[br]1988 9\' Boston Whaler[br]John P. out of [br]Quincy, MA

Comment

Nice boat...I had a single 1987 115 Merc on my 19. Loved that motor...ran strong and reliable for many years. One thing to consider with carb rebuild...the floats in the carburetors are two piece plastic and they tend to leak...as they slowly fill they don't float any more causing the engine to run rough if at all. The hard thing about diagnosing the problem is that they slowly drain when the engine isn't running...so they float again the next time you start the motor...runs good til they fill up as you are out running the boat...so make sure you replace them. It took me a while to figure this out on my engine..every time I took the carbs apart to figure out what was wrong they looked fine. Good luck with your new rig...post pics...the guys and girls on this site will help you a lot.
      [/URL]

Comment

Thank you for the tip!

I actually took them off and am going to do the rebuilds in a few weeks while it's winter and plowing season.

Comment

Working...
        X