1978 Mako 19 New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Mako 19 New Project

This boat followed me home the other night and I am really glad to have this website to go to for all of the great information and experience that members share. I am really looking forward to bringing out what's hidden beneath the wear and tear. This 1978 Mako 19 was built the same year Larry Bird was drafted by the Celtics, so that has to be a good omen!

I bought this boat with my eyes wide open and was chuckling to myself, when the seller was telling me how solid the floor is (its not) and how there is no flex in the transom (there is) and that the motor runs really strong (sure it does!). I paid just a little more than the cost of the brand new axle that is on the trailer, so I am not going to sweat the investment, but sweat I will when things get serious on the rebuild I am sure.

I have modest goals for this fall/winter which include removing the center console and the cooler/seat, then to bring them back into like new condition. Both appear to be in good structural shape, especially the console which I only saw in fading light when I bought it. If I can accomplish the more modest steps like that, than I will move on to transom and flooring in the spring.

I have a strong background in woodworking (none in fiberglass) and my Safety Officer (brother in law) is former Air Force as a section chief on avionics for fighter jets and then a flight engineer on a C5. Despite the grief I heap on him (good natured) and despite limitations that I may have on the FB build and finish, I am pretty well assured of having the best wired boat in the fleet. He likes challenges [].

If anyone can comment on this websites "Search" function, which I cannot make "function" that would be a big help, so I am not asking questions that have already been answered. Besides that I am really looking forward to getting started on the boat, learning from the knowledgeable crew on this site and giving back at some point. More pics to follow as we progress.

Cheers

Langski93
    langski93 [br]Mako 19 My Project[br]Grady Adventure 208 My Boat[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52446

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the purchase.

Nice to see you are already posting pics.

It sounds like you have the right approach. It will be worth the effort in the end. The sense of pride and accomplishment is awesome once you get it all done.

You should start a thread on the projects forum and don.t forget ..... Lots of pics as you go along. We love pics here. []
    The Salty-Dawg all cleaned up and ready for the next trip ![br]1982 Mako 20B[br]1998 Yamaha 150 [br]

Comment

Thanks Salty. I worked on the boat this weekend and have more pictures. I need to figure out the Projects Page as I already have a thousand questions, and it seems best to have pics when you ask a question.

Cheers

langski

]Originally posted by Salty-Dawg

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the purchase.

Nice to see you are already posting pics.

It sounds like you have the right approach. It will be worth the effort in the end. The sense of pride and accomplishment is awesome once you get it all done.

You should start a thread on the projects forum and don.t forget ..... Lots of pics as you go along. We love pics here. []

[/quote]
      langski93 [br]Mako 19 My Project[br]Grady Adventure 208 My Boat[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52446

Comment

Langski...that looks like the perfect project boat...mine was 10 years older than yours, and there was still plenty left to work with. Do you know if the foam is saturated? Are you planning to gut all the way to the stringers? Will be watching with interest and will be vicariously enjoying the project...I have fond memories of working on my boat...sort of like how women look back on childbirth as a pleasurable experience!

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...rms=68,mako,19
        [/URL]

Comment

Hi FarleyPalmer, Yours was one of the first boats that I reviewed on this site. So let me get this straight with your childbirth metaphor. If you knew how painful it would be you would probably avoid it, but afterward you forget the pain and are willing to do it again? [:0]

The plan is for the "Full Monty" but since its so late in the season I am going to focus on console, and cooler/seat which leaves me motor removal and then just wrapping it until spring. I'm up in NH, so beside the above work its going to research, planning, raw materials and tool acquisition.

I have more pics, but not sure how to post under Projects forum or just keep adding to this thread. Can you advise?

Then I have questions about original floor installation techniques used at the factory.

Cheers

Langski
          quote:

Originally posted by FarleyPalmer

Langski...that looks like the perfect project boat...mine was 10 years older than yours, and there was still plenty left to work with. Do you know if the foam is saturated? Are you planning to gut all the way to the stringers? Will be watching with interest and will be vicariously enjoying the project...I have fond memories of working on my boat...sort of like how women look back on childbirth as a pleasurable experience!

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...rms=68,mako,19

Comment

Its the sanding that sucks...everything else is fun. But now that I've done it once (with help by the way) I can say that I've restored an old boat...and no I won't do it again! Good that you are planning to go all the way in with the resto...makes no sense to go halfway. Good luck with phase 1...and it really doesn't hurt that much...
            [/URL]

Comment

Working...
            X