What size Mako...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size Mako...?

Hello fellow boaters, Ringleader, thanks for registering me.

I own a Volvo D3-160 DPS (Diesel Stern-drive) and I'm thinking I want to put this engine in a Mako... First question, what size boat should I be looking for to get the best efficiency from this engine? I have read some on here and several guys are using 150HP four strokes in 22's even 23's and getting good results. I noticed that the dead rise on the stern drive models is next to nothing and the inboards have the same 19 dead rise as a regular CC. Question 2, should I look specifically for a stern drive model or can a regular CC model be modified to handle the stern drive...? I would prefer the latter but need some feedback to see if its even possible...

Thanks and looking forward to your replies...

The reason I am going diesel is because I already have the engine and gas prices where I live (Western Caribbean) are approaching $6/gln and diesel can still be gotten for under $4, and it goes farther...

Can anyone tell me why the 1973 Stern Drive version weighs 1100 lbs more than the same year's same size CC model...?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bonakyon

The reason I am going diesel is because I already have the engine and gas prices where I live (Western Caribbean) are approaching $6/gln and diesel can still be gotten for under $4, and it goes farther...

Can anyone tell me why the 1973 Stern Drive version weighs 1100 lbs more than the same year's same size CC model...?

Reason for weight difference is the inboard and I/O version are weighted with engine already installed. The outboard versions the weight is without the engine installed.
      80\' 236 IB[br]Douglasville, Ga/Destin, FL[br]\"Yes I am a pirate 200yrs too late\"[br]North,East & West are directions SOUTH is a place![br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29651[br]

Comment

I'd look for a mid to late 80's Mako 23 inboard, put the diesel in there and then sell the outdrive, for the reasons you stated.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas... I'm actively looking for my Mako. I'll post pics when I come across any viable candidates...

Comment

Working...
          X