Newbie w/ 1984 228 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie w/ 1984 228 Questions

I am new to Mako, but have been boating for over 50 years. Just purchased a 1984 Mako 228 that was a 1 owner, father & son, in the Keys. The boat spent it's life hanging on davits & has never been painted. That's what drew me to the boat. That + the hull looks so darn sexy even sitting still.

I haven't even unloaded the boat yet, but am wondering what would be some suggestions as to where to begin? It's somewhat overwhelming. The motor, I'm told, is '96/'97 (sticker destroyed) 200hp Evinrude that is NOT seized. Haven't done a compression check.

Where do I begin with this boat?
    1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Welcome to CM and congratulations! Post up some pictures and it will be easier to see the condition. I'd start by checking out the fuel tank as it may be past it's useful life.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks Sailor - Good idea, I'll try to get some pixs up.
      1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome. I agree with sailor, start with tank and fuel system components. And that's more like a '86-'87 motor.

Comment

Safety first! So that means check and replace fuel tank if necessary along with fill and vent lines, then redo all wiring. Most were done with copper wiring glass fuses and lots of splices. Then into bilge with two pumps with their independent hose and thru haul

Welcome to CM and good luck on the purchase
              1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Do you do a pressure test on the tank? Hoses & fittings are self explanatory. As for the year motor, the boat is a 1984 & I assumed the motor the same. But, the owner said he thought it was mid 90's and they've owned it since it came out of the factory. Any other way to date the engine w/o sticker. My son said he read something about the #'s on a freeze-out plug between the cylinders getting you close.

All 6 cylinders read 90 - 92 psi & she fired up running off a remote tank & fuel squirted into the carbs. Just don't want to throw good $ after bad on the motor. Initially, I was thinking repower.

Comment

BTW Brando - Very nice job with the 238. It probably would have been my 1st choice, but the 228 came up on Boat Angel donation site & was in my home state of The Swamp. I sold a 17' Wahoo & will sell a 26' SeaRay. One was too small (though a blast) & the other too big to trailer every weekend.

Comment

Maybe start a thread in the motor mouths section about dating it and can get some more views than in the intro section. I just based that guess on the cowling shape and lettering. Dad's old Grady had a '89 Evinrude 200hp and the shape and lettering looked just like that, but a different color paint. I believe all the 200hp OMC motors in the mid '90s would've been either an Evinrude Ocean Pro or Johnson Ocean Runner. Both more radiused/rounded cowlings, and the majority of them white. But I'm far from really knowledgable so I could be wrong.

Comment

Thanks Andy, You're probably right about the years. With the #'s from the freeze plug, my son came up '89 - '90. When I ran the #'s off the fuel pump they came back as 89/90. I'll start something in the forum you mentioned as this motor has been run with mixed gas, not VRO. & I can't see spending $330 for a VRO pump if I can get a simple no mix pump.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Holgatelbi

Thanks for the advice. Do you do a pressure test on the tank? Hoses & fittings are self explanatory. As for the year motor, the boat is a 1984 & I assumed the motor the same. But, the owner said he thought it was mid 90's and they've owned it since it came out of the factory. Any other way to date the engine w/o sticker. My son said he read something about the #'s on a freeze-out plug between the cylinders getting you close.

All 6 cylinders read 90 - 92 psi & she fired up running off a remote tank & fuel squirted into the carbs. Just don't want to throw good $ after bad on the motor. Initially, I was thinking repower.

You can do a pressure test but.....my opinion is to pull it and inspect it. If there is any pitting whatsoever replace it

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42351

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=11546
                        1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

The tank from the 228 is finally out. Took 2 days of nasty work & some backyard ingenuity. Two floor jacks were needed as well as the regular tools of the tank removal trade: sawzall, chainsaw, tree trim saw, 2 floor jacks, (2) 8' pcs of chain & a son that wants the boat wet more than me.

Comment

Working...
                          X